Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Crispee

Default Cherry Cabinets/ Light Wood Floors???

I am moving into a house where the designer picked beautiful cherry
cabinets for the kitchen/ baths and a natural-color wood floor (quite
light colored) for the whole house. I think it looks WEIRD! It could
have been so gorgeous to do cherry cabinets and cherry floors or even
cherry cabinets and medium oak floors, but dark cabinets and light
floors???!!!! I am just bummed because it could have been so gorgeous.
Is this a design trend or something? Does anyone actually think this
looks good? (FWIW, most of my furniture is very traditional, dark
wood, and my kitchen table is a medium oak.) Is this weird or is it
just me? Thanks.

Crispee

Posted to misc.consumers.house

No, it's not just you. Light floors in the kitchen are also impractical
(own experience + many other's opinions) Dirt and tends to show a mile
away.

If you are going to re-do it, I suggest porcelain tile. I know there's
a trend going on right now about having hardwood in the kitchen, but
this too shall pass, once those floors turn 4-5 years old.