Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Strange, persistent mold growing on antique china platters

Wierd problem - I inherited a ton of beautiful Dartmouth College china
plates from my grandparents, and about 1/3 of them have a black powdery
mold emanating from them. It seems to originate in the crazing. I
have tried super-hot dishwashers, rinsing the plates in a bleach
solution, and now that we live in Denver, I have frozen them out in the
back yard. NOTHING HAS KILLED THE MOLD. I hope hope hope someone out
there can help me beat the mold so I can use the plates!

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
Wierd problem - I inherited a ton of beautiful Dartmouth College china
plates from my grandparents, and about 1/3 of them have a black powdery
mold emanating from them. It seems to originate in the crazing. I
have tried super-hot dishwashers, rinsing the plates in a bleach
solution, and now that we live in Denver, I have frozen them out in the
back yard. NOTHING HAS KILLED THE MOLD. I hope hope hope someone out
there can help me beat the mold so I can use the plates!

are you sure it's mold? have you had it tested?

if the glaze on china is crazing, then some of the underlying ceramics may
becoming powdery and leaking out through the cracks in the glaze. some china
is dark colored.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts