Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Howard Beale

Default Ceiling-mounted natural gas garage heaters: What to look for?

I've finally gotten around to insulating my 2-year old attached garage and
I'm thinking about heating it so that I can work in my shop with a little
more comfort.

The only three criteria I think I need are side venting (deck is on top of
the garage), low profile ceiling mount and the ability to work with a
standard setback thermostat. Sealed combustion with it's own outside air
supply would probably be a big bonus, although the seal around the insulated
garage is probably poor enough that air supply wouldn't be a huge problem.

There seem to be plenty of forced-air models that fit this criteria, but is
there anything else to choose from or a place with any kind of ratings on
reliability? CR doesn't seem to have anything and I'm not really getting a
lot of success via Google (although Google groups does have some food for
thought).

It seems that the "small" models run about 45K BTUs, which seems more than
adequate for a 30 degree temperature rise in 4300 cubic feet. I would
probably set the thermostat at 45 degrees and only warm the interior to 60
for getting into a warm car at the start of the day and otherwise only warm
it to 60 or so for shop work.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
TKM

"Howard Beale" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe there are economic reasons that your are thinking of gas heat; but
with gas prices going up substantially, have you considered a electrical
quartz infrared heating system? I've used one for years and just installed
another in the garage of my new house. Three 1500 watt units easily handle
my 2-car insulated garage. Advantages a
- easy installation (run a 220V electrical line from your CB box, add a
thermostat)
- no vents, stacks, flames or fumes
- instant heat - a lot or a little via switching
- system doesn't need to operate if you're not in the area since infrared
heats people and things, not air
- light output from units is a bonus
- also nicely drys paint
- units are relatively inexpensive (like a good-quality lighting fixture)
- very reliable, the "lamp" lasts many thousands of hours and is easy to
replace

TKM

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Howard Beale

"TKM" wrote in message

Maybe there are economic reasons that your are thinking of gas heat; but
with gas prices going up substantially, have you considered a electrical
quartz infrared heating system? I've used one for years and just
installed another in the garage of my new house. Three 1500 watt units
easily handle my 2-car insulated garage. Advantages a

Gas has gone up ($1.39 per therm for November), but the same amount of
electrical energy (roughly 29kWh) is about $2.

I'm not a huge fan of infrared heaters, either. I actually do want to warm
the air and the stuff in it, and I think that gas forced air would produce
more comfort.

That being said, I did spend $150 on a 4000 watt forced-air electric heater
to try to heat the smaller part of my workshop. I figure if it works, I
might just bail on the gas heater altogether.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Userb3

"Howard Beale" wrote in
:

Why ceiling mounted and forced air? You can get wall mount or standing
ventless propane heaters for $100-$500 (depending on size) that are very
efficient, and use ceiling fans or box fans (that will also cool in the
summer) for circulation.

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Howard Beale

"Userb3" wrote in message
"Howard Beale" wrote in
:

Why ceiling mounted and forced air? You can get wall mount or standing
ventless propane heaters for $100-$500 (depending on size) that are very
efficient, and use ceiling fans or box fans (that will also cool in the
summer) for circulation.

Ceiling mounted is pretty much a requirement for space reasons. Most all of
the exterior wall space is devoted to storage and a wall-mount unit would be
in the way. Ceiling fans won't work due to the fairly low ceiling
clearance, and box fans would just add clutter.

I looked into portable propane heaters and they just didn't add up; dealing
with propane is a hassle, and at least at the 20lb tank size it's about 35%
more expensive than electric heat which itself is 25% more expensive than
even our outrageous $1.20/therm natural gas.

The ceiling mount natural gas heaters appear to be made specifically for
hanging in garages, and I like the idea of a permanent heat source that can
be attached to a setback thermostat for constant "above freezing" temps and
programmable and occasional "comfort warm" temps. At least one (the Reznor)
seems to also have a single exhaust/fresh air vent, which solves the
combustion gas/air problem as well, in addition to being horizontally
ventable (roof is rubber flat membrane with a deck on top), another
requirement.

I have a 14K BTU electric heater coming tomorrow which should get me by for
localized heating in the area I'm working this year, and may actually turn
out to be just enough for working that I never bother with a permanent
heater.

Anyway, the natural gas ceiling mount option just seems to solve all the
right problems, except of course the "purchase and install cost" problem.