DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   replacing delta shower cartridge (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/125251-replacing-delta-shower-cartridge.html)

david October 17th 05 05:36 PM

replacing delta shower cartridge

hi
I need to replace my shower faucet cartridge and since i don't have a
shut off valve at the shower i will need to shut off the main. Is it
necessary to drain the water in the pipes completely before i start?
any suggestions

thanks

Todd H. October 17th 05 05:42 PM

"david" writes:
hi
I need to replace my shower faucet cartridge and since i don't have a
shut off valve at the shower i will need to shut off the main. Is it
necessary to drain the water in the pipes completely before i start?
any suggestions

That'd be best. Shut off the main cut off, open hot and cold taps at
a fixture near the highest point in the house (to let air in), and do
the same at a fixture near the lowest point of the house (to drain
water out of the pipes).

This will minimize how much you need to mop up when you disconnect the
fixture you're working on.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

david October 17th 05 06:12 PM

replacing delta shower cartridge

Will do, that will require me to shut off or switch the knob to "pilot"
on my gas water heater also
thanks

Todd H. October 17th 05 08:03 PM

"david" writes:
Will do, that will require me to shut off or switch the knob to "pilot"
on my gas water heater also

Couldn't hurt, but it's not necessary. That's for the gas to the
water heater, and your water heater (assuming it's a conventional
water heater with all the water plumbing coming out of its top) will
not be drained by this technique, so there will be water in it, so you
wouldn't risk heating an empty tank or anything.

But again, couldn't hurt.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/