DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   pumping a septic tank (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/119216-pumping-septic-tank.html)

Rich September 1st 05 04:17 AM

pumping a septic tank

I seriously have no idea how much it will cost me to get it done. I have a
1500 gallon tank and I need to begin planning for emptying it.

I'm not looking for hard and fast estimates, but just SWAGs. How much is
it? $50? $250? $500? $1000? Give me a ballpark, please. Thanks!

--
Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.

George Pontis September 1st 05 06:57 AM

In article ,
says...
I seriously have no idea how much it will cost me to get it done. I have a
1500 gallon tank and I need to begin planning for emptying it.

I'm not looking for hard and fast estimates, but just SWAGs. How much is
it? $50? $250? $500? $1000? Give me a ballpark, please. Thanks!

In our area the going rate is $600. I would not be surprised if it is less
elsewhere. A tank of that size getting normal use with a family of four might be
good for as long as 5 years, but you never want to let it go too far or serious
damage to the drainfield can result. Maybe you get it pumped after three years and
ask the operator how long you can go before the next pumping.

If you are new to septic tanks, there are a few things to keep in mind that will
help it last longer before needing service. Minimize use of a garbage disposal.
Minimize the amount of fat that goes down the drain.

Userb3 September 1st 05 01:09 PM

I pay $125 every two or three years to have our 1000 gallon tank pumped and
cleaned, and have field lines checked.

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/

user September 1st 05 03:18 PM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:57:01 -0700, George Pontis wrote:
In article ,
says...
I seriously have no idea how much it will cost me to get it done. I have a
1500 gallon tank and I need to begin planning for emptying it.

I'm not looking for hard and fast estimates, but just SWAGs. How much is
it? $50? $250? $500? $1000? Give me a ballpark, please. Thanks!

In our area the going rate is $600. I would not be surprised if it is less
elsewhere. A tank of that size getting normal use with a family of four might be
good for as long as 5 years, but you never want to let it go too far or serious
damage to the drainfield can result. Maybe you get it pumped after three years and
ask the operator how long you can go before the next pumping.

If you are new to septic tanks, there are a few things to keep in mind that will
help it last longer before needing service. Minimize use of a garbage disposal.
Minimize the amount of fat that goes down the drain.

$600? Do they use gold-plated hoses or something?

The last few times we had ours done in Rochester, NY, it cost about $75.00.
Competing prices ranged from about $60 - $100.

- Rich

Userb3 September 2nd 05 12:17 AM

Mark wrote in
:

On 1 Sep 2005 12:09:11 GMT, Userb3 wrote:

I pay $125 every two or three years to have our 1000 gallon tank
pumped and cleaned, and have field lines checked.

Just curious. How do they check your leech field lines without
digging up your yard?

I believe it involves flushing them with clean water and snaking them 40-50
feet in each direction.

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/

George Pontis September 2nd 05 01:40 AM

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:57:01 -0700, George Pontis wrote:

$600? Do they use gold-plated hoses or something?

The last few times we had ours done in Rochester, NY, it cost about $75.00.
Competing prices ranged from about $60 - $100.

- Rich

No, but the guys that come out to do the job are well manicured. Seriously, this
is the area where a modest home cost $350K five years ago and sells for $750K
today. A year ago I forgot to take my garbage can up to the top of the road where
the truck could pick it up. So instead I had to transfer it to a couple of garbage
bags, toss it in the trunk, and drive to the transfer station. You know what that
cost to dump ? $40. (minimum charge at the dump)