DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bathroom fan - must vent thru roof, or anywhere outside? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/111089-bathroom-fan-must-vent-thru-roof-anywhere-outside.html)

bryanska June 29th 05 05:42 PM

Bathroom fan - must vent thru roof, or anywhere outside?

Hello,

If I install a bathroom fan, must the exhaust route through the
roof/attic? Can it be vented anywhere outside?

I am installing this fan in a basement bathroom. It would be easier to
route the exhaust out of the side of the house, like a clothes dryer
vent. Is that possible/advised?

OR - are there other, code-compliant solutions to installing a bathroom
vent fan?

I was thinking about "tapping into" the bathroom vent directly above
this bathroom, but that involves ripping out drywall in the upstairs
bath...

John Weiss June 29th 05 05:47 PM

"bryanska" wrote...

If I install a bathroom fan, must the exhaust route through the
roof/attic? Can it be vented anywhere outside?

I've seen many wall-mounted fans. Whether or not they're code-compliant is a
question for your local guvamint.

[email protected] June 29th 05 08:30 PM

You don't want to tap into another bathroom vent, as that will send bad
air from one bathroom to the other. I've seen lots of bathroom fans in
new construction in NJ vented out the side, under the soffits. In
fact, I think more are probably done that way than through the roof.
If in doubt, you have to check locally, as any codes will vary by
location

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. June 30th 05 12:49 AM

"bryanska" wrote:

If I install a bathroom fan, must the exhaust route through the
roof/attic? Can it be vented anywhere outside?

I am installing this fan in a basement bathroom. It would be easier to
route the exhaust out of the side of the house, like a clothes dryer
vent. Is that possible/advised?

You need to check with your local code authority, but that's pretty typical for
new home construction around here.

OR - are there other, code-compliant solutions to installing a bathroom
vent fan?

I was thinking about "tapping into" the bathroom vent directly above
this bathroom, but that involves ripping out drywall in the upstairs
bath...

You really need to check with your local code authority on this option - its not
permitted here. Potential for the fan from one room exhausting into the other
room instead of outdoors.

v July 1st 05 11:34 PM

On 29 Jun 2005 09:42:22 -0700, someone wrote:

Hello,

If I install a bathroom fan, must the exhaust route through the
roof/attic? Can it be vented anywhere outside?

It needs to go outside. I have never heard of any prohibition on
venting one through a wall, or any requirement that it be through the
roof. What info if any do you have, that it has to be through a roof?
That would be news to me, and to the contractor who built my house!

v July 4th 05 10:34 PM

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:02:19 GMT, someone wrote:

Absolutely - unless your local code says no.

My Q is - can ANYONE point to a current local code that actually
prohibets this? Yeah yeah we have to disclaim - but in the US, for
years there has been a movement towards national, or at least
statewide, "uniform codes" and odd local requirements have been
falling by the wayside.

What reason did OP have, to think that it might be against code?