Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Transporting Window Air Conditioners

Our local Home Depot has signs all over telling customers to keep their
window air conditioners flat when transporting them or else they may
not work properly? what's this all about?

David Sumner

It may also be that the A/C units of today aren't as good as the ones
built 15 years ago. Overrall, I've been pretty disgusted with the
quality of ALL the appliances I've bought in the last 5 years. I've had
to replace a stove and a dishwasher that both were less than 5 years
old. The newer dishwasher has a design defect that causes the racks to
jam and I keep having to replace the rollers. My new frost-free
refrigerator stopped working after frost appeared on the coils. The
"solution" was to unplug it and let it defrost. Shortly thereafer, the
plastic tabs on the ice tray broke and I could only get crushed ice out
of the door. The new stove burners sometimes won't light unless I blow
on them first. Both the washer and dryer in my rental house had to
replaced within two years of purchase.

In contrast, my dad had the same stove and refrigerator at his house for
over 20 years, and my great-grandmother's house still has a perfectly
working electric stove that was delivered in the late 50s/early 60s.

wrote:

David Sumner wrote:

wrote:

Our local Home Depot has signs all over telling customers to keep their
window air conditioners flat when transporting them or else they may
not work properly? what's this all about?

I was told by the HD salesman that there is oil in the compressor motor
that may run where it's not supposed to be if the unit is turned on its
side or upside down. He said that if that happened, it would be
necessary to turn it right side up and leave it for some time before the
unit would operate properly again.

Thanks! I was wondering why our 6000 BTU we bought doesn't cool as well
as the 5200 one we got rid of after 15 years. Was worried that
transporting it in the cart on a slant might have done some damage.
Also, I don't see such signs in any other store.