DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Want opinions on Heatilator fireplace (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/109086-want-opinions-heatilator-fireplace.html)

[email protected] June 6th 05 12:21 AM

Want opinions on Heatilator fireplace

My builder recommended and installed a Heatilator fireplace. From my
cursory look at this unit, it looks like a piece of junk. The wire
curtain supplied that you can draw across the front will not slide
well on the tracks and the lever for opening and closing the flue
interfers with the curtains and even prevents you from closing one
side without a lot of trouble. I looked at the flue and it looks like
the small amount of water that has come down the stack after
installation have already started the flue rusting. Am I in for a lot
of disappointment with this fireplace? At this point I could pull it
out and return it. We haven't closed in the walls so it will come
out. Any opinions will be appreciated. Also, any recommendations of
better units will be appreciated. Thanks

Travis Jordan June 6th 05 01:02 AM

wrote:
My builder recommended and installed a Heatilator fireplace. From my
cursory look at this unit, it looks like a piece of junk. The wire

Heatilator makes a wide spectrum of fireplaces, from low-end to
high-end.

What is the model number of your fireplace?

Travis Jordan June 6th 05 02:03 AM

wrote:
It is A42R

That's a mid-market model, and should be OK if it is installed properly.
I have an older version of that same fireplace and the screens are a
little flimsy and mickey mouse. I guess they have always been that way.

I don't get any water instrusion, even after the hurricanes here in
Florida last year. But I do have a chimney chase in addition to the
manufacturer-recommended termination cap.

Does it look like it was installed per the instructions?

http://www.heatilator.com/downloads/.../A36C_A42C.pdf

v June 6th 05 05:56 PM

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:21:08 GMT, someone wrote:

My builder recommended and installed a Heatilator fireplace. From my
cursory look at this unit, it looks like a piece of junk.

Its your house so if you don't like it, don't let the internet talk
you into keeping it. Get one you like, you are the one who will have
to live with it.