Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Doc Savage

Default vent in attic

Regarding new construction.

I have identified two aluminum vent tubes in my attic, one goes up
through the roof (exhaust?) and the other just ends in my attic. Does
anyone know if this is normal? I am wondering what the function of the
duct which ends in the attic would be ... could this be an air intake
for the furnace? These ducts appear to go down to the basement where
the furnace is.

I've never heard of a furnace intake in an attic but you never know. I
have seen a bathroom vent go up into an attic (as opposed to going thru
the attic and out the roof).

echo

"Doc Savage" wrote in message
ups.com...
Regarding new construction.

I have identified two aluminum vent tubes in my attic, one goes up
through the roof (exhaust?) and the other just ends in my attic. Does
anyone know if this is normal? I am wondering what the function of the
duct which ends in the attic would be ... could this be an air intake
for the furnace? These ducts appear to go down to the basement where
the furnace is.

I have a similar situation. After reading your post, I went up into the
attic and checked them out. The one that ends in the attic has a grill.
What happened is that some out-of-town contractors installed my new
furnace. But the city inspector came by and checked their work. He then made
them put a grill into the ceiling. It looks like a regular air outlet grill
in the wall. In the attic it ends in a big round tube that is about 6" high
or so. My guess is that the purpose of this vent is to prevent possible gas
leakage in the furnace room from accumulating and perhaps causing an
explosion. Perrhaps the attic is leaky enough so that gas wouldn't
accumulate in it, but just go outside. So my guess is that it's a safety
feature, and that it's an outlet.

Powered Attic vent fan dk Home Repair 6 April 15th 05 07:51 PM
move to a house with bath fan vent to attic Jeffrey Home Ownership 3 March 16th 05 06:23 AM
gable vent (bats!) - Attic ventilation Rich Home Repair 9 December 15th 04 04:16 PM
Dryer vent runs up into attic but not outside... Home Repair 15 August 23rd 04 08:45 PM
louvered vent for attic Sammy' Home Repair 4 January 14th 04 03:01 PM