DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need to remove the deadbolt from a locked door (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/103924-need-remove-deadbolt-locked-door.html)

[email protected] April 22nd 05 09:49 PM

Need to remove the deadbolt from a locked door

I just bought a forclosed home and so i got no keys for the house
except for the front door key.

I have a back door that has a deadbolt on it and is currently locked.
As you guessed it i have no key for it but i need to get it out so that
i can install a new one in its place. Any advise on how to get it out
would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Jonathan Kamens April 22nd 05 10:01 PM

writes:
I have a back door that has a deadbolt on it and is currently locked.
As you guessed it i have no key for it but i need to get it out so that
i can install a new one in its place. Any advise on how to get it out
would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Call a locksmith to come make you a key. He'll stick a blank key into
the cylinder, jiggle it back and forth so that it gets scratched where
there need to be notches, file down a bit where the scratches are, and
repeat until the key finally successfully opens the lock.

Speedy Jim April 22nd 05 10:23 PM

wrote:
I just bought a forclosed home and so i got no keys for the house
except for the front door key.

I have a back door that has a deadbolt on it and is currently locked.
As you guessed it i have no key for it but i need to get it out so that
i can install a new one in its place. Any advise on how to get it out
would be really appreciated. Thank you.

As I understand, you *can* get inside the house.

Typical deadbolt locks (even double-sided) have
a couple of screws which can be removed from the
"inside" side of the lock. Then the lock cyl
falls out.

Look at some new ones where you plan to buy one
to get a feel for how they're assembled.

Jim

Harlen Ng April 22nd 05 11:06 PM

Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:
I just bought a forclosed home and so i got no keys for the house
except for the front door key.

I have a back door that has a deadbolt on it and is currently locked.
As you guessed it i have no key for it but i need to get it out so that
i can install a new one in its place. Any advise on how to get it out
would be really appreciated. Thank you.

As I understand, you *can* get inside the house.

Typical deadbolt locks (even double-sided) have
a couple of screws which can be removed from the
"inside" side of the lock. Then the lock cyl
falls out.

Look at some new ones where you plan to buy one
to get a feel for how they're assembled.

Jim

I would do what Jim said. 2 screws will allow you to remove the inside
tumbler from the inside. Another 2 screws will allow the outside tumbler to
be removed, and then the dead bolt can be turned to un-bolt the door.

-Harlen

[email protected] April 23rd 05 12:11 AM

Thank you all for the quick replies. I dont think there are any screws
that are visible on the deadbolt. There seem to be two small golden
plates where the screws should have been. Would the screw be under the
plate and if so, how do i get them out? I could call a locksmith but
they are expensive. Thank you.

Speedy Jim April 23rd 05 12:26 AM

wrote:
Thank you all for the quick replies. I dont think there are any screws
that are visible on the deadbolt. There seem to be two small golden
plates where the screws should have been. Would the screw be under the
plate and if so, how do i get them out? I could call a locksmith but
they are expensive. Thank you.

I'm not the expert, but they may be security screws
which will have to be drilled out.

Jim

Bert Hyman April 23rd 05 12:38 AM

In oups.com
wrote:

Thank you all for the quick replies. I dont think there are any screws
that are visible on the deadbolt. There seem to be two small golden
plates where the screws should have been. Would the screw be under the
plate and if so, how do i get them out?

Maybe. I had a Schlage double-cylinder deadbolt (key needed on both inside
and outside) where the holes for the mounting screws on the inside surface
were plugged. I suppose there's a tool for removing the plugs, but since I
didn't care if I marred the finish of the old lock, I just used an awl to
pry them out of the holes. Once I did that, I needed an Allen wrench to
remove the long screws that held the inner and outer parts of the lock
together.

Since the mounting holes for any lock installed in the past 50 years
should be pretty standard, any similar lock you find at a hardware store
will fit right in.

I could call a locksmith but they are expensive. Thank you.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

[email protected] April 23rd 05 12:46 AM

Once again thanks a lot for your help. I will try out your
recommendations tomorrow and let you guys know how it went.

Harlen Ng April 23rd 05 01:54 AM

wrote:

Thank you all for the quick replies. I dont think there are any screws
that are visible on the deadbolt. There seem to be two small golden
plates where the screws should have been. Would the screw be under the
plate and if so, how do i get them out? I could call a locksmith but
they are expensive. Thank you.

Who is the manufacture? It should say so somewhere. Then search the
internet for instructions.

-harlen

[email protected] April 25th 05 03:51 AM

I got it out. The plates that i was talking about turned when when you
put the key in. So as i did not have the key all i had to do was take 2
flat head screw drivers and push the plates up on one side and down on
the other and that showed me the screws. Thank you all for your help.

Ajay

Phil Munro April 28th 05 07:36 PM

Andrew Koenig wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a back door that has a deadbolt on it and is currently locked.
As you guessed it i have no key for it but i need to get it out so that
i can install a new one in its place.

Can you take the pins out of the hinges? If so, you should be able to
remove the entire door.

Has anyone on this group ever actually done this? If the door is
a reasonable fit, this probably will not work. Door edges are cut at
an angle on the latch side to allow them to open without rubbing but to
still have a snug fit.
Trying to open the door at the pin side (with pins removed) does
not have the angled clearance. Also, the lock may need bending
depending on how far the bolt goes into the frame.
How do I know this? I had an inside closet door once with an old
lock that could not be unlocked. I tried this, and could not get the
(tight) door to budge. Finally I used a hack saw to cut through the
brass lock. --Phil

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555