Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Ed

Default The yard sinking

The ground in my front yard has sunk during years. The house was built
around 20 years ago and I am the only owner. The area is a straight line
that is about 8-10 feet long. The width at the widest part is about 3-4 feet
and the deepest part is probably about one foot deep. It runs parallel to
street and about 15 feet away from sidewalk. There are also 3 areas in the
backyard. All areas in the backyard are smaller than the one in front.

About 10 years ago, the street next to the curb sank. I called the city and
they pave over it and it did not sink again.

I have a few questions:

What can cause this?

How can I find out how serious it is?

If all I have to do is to fill them, what can I use so the grass will grow
again?

Thanks

Rich

"Ed" wrote in
:
What can cause this?

Sinkholes?

How can I find out how serious it is?

Call your county extension agency.

If all I have to do is to fill them, what can I use so the grass will
grow again?

My suggestion would be "soil." Just a thought.

If the ground continues to subside, you may have a bigger problem than you
realize. Do you have any mining (open pit or otherwise) going on nearby?
Anything else that could draw down groundwater?

ameijers

"Ed" wrote in message
The ground in my front yard has sunk during years. The house was built
around 20 years ago and I am the only owner. The area is a straight line
that is about 8-10 feet long. The width at the widest part is about 3-4

feet
and the deepest part is probably about one foot deep. It runs parallel to
street and about 15 feet away from sidewalk. There are also 3 areas in the
backyard. All areas in the backyard are smaller than the one in front.

About 10 years ago, the street next to the curb sank. I called the city

and
they pave over it and it did not sink again.

From your description, especially about the sunken spot in street, this
sounds like utility trenches that were not properly compacted during
backfill, or simply settled. I'd call whatever companies around there may
have buried lines (gas, sewer, water, electric, phone) , and request they
have someone stop by and mark the lines. This is free most areas- just tell
them you want to do some landscaping, and don't wanna damage their stuff. If
the paint marks line up with the sinkholes, you have your answer. If they
don't, post back, and we'll think of some other plausible explanation.

In any case, unless yard is bubbling-wet or you smell rotten eggs, unlikely
to be anything dangerous or urgent, and dirt and a little grass seed is
probably all that is needed.

aem sends....

Ed

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote in message
The ground in my front yard has sunk during years. The house was built
around 20 years ago and I am the only owner. The area is a straight line
that is about 8-10 feet long. The width at the widest part is about 3-4

feet
and the deepest part is probably about one foot deep. It runs parallel to
street and about 15 feet away from sidewalk. There are also 3 areas in
the
backyard. All areas in the backyard are smaller than the one in front.

About 10 years ago, the street next to the curb sank. I called the city

and
they pave over it and it did not sink again.

From your description, especially about the sunken spot in street, this
sounds like utility trenches that were not properly compacted during
backfill, or simply settled. I'd call whatever companies around there may
have buried lines (gas, sewer, water, electric, phone) , and request they
have someone stop by and mark the lines. This is free most areas- just
tell
them you want to do some landscaping, and don't wanna damage their stuff.
If
the paint marks line up with the sinkholes, you have your answer. If they
don't, post back, and we'll think of some other plausible explanation.

In any case, unless yard is bubbling-wet or you smell rotten eggs,
unlikely
to be anything dangerous or urgent, and dirt and a little grass seed is
probably all that is needed.

aem sends....

Several years ago Knology was working on street so the companies with buried
lines drew all kind of colorful lines in our street. Everything is buried
near the street and at least 12 feet from where fron yard has sunk. Nothing
in the back yard. About fifteen years I planted a pin oak in the front yard
which is a huge tree by now. There was no dpression in the yard when I
planted it. The depression starts at the west of the tree and ends when it
meets the tree but the deep end is by the tree. There is not tree by the
depressions in the backyard.

Noi minning anywhere near our house. No smell or water bubbling.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 18:51:04 -0500, someone wrote:

Several years ago Knology was working on street...

Who is "Knology"?? (Never heard of them.)

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:55:55 -0500, someone wrote:

If all I have to do is to fill them, what can I use so the grass will grow
again?

Grass seed. (Put some hay over it so the birds don't get it all.)

Ed

"v" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 18:51:04 -0500, someone wrote:

Several years ago Knology was working on street...

Who is "Knology"?? (Never heard of them.)

The company that provides my cable, internet, and phone.
http://www.knology.com

Sometimes construction sites have buried tree stumps and similar
material that rots over time. Unless you live in an area known for
particular sink hole problems, I'd regrade it with topsoil in the fall
and then seed.

Ed

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sometimes construction sites have buried tree stumps and similar
material that rots over time. Unless you live in an area known for
particular sink hole problems, I'd regrade it with topsoil in the fall
and then seed.

Thanks. I think this is the reason. I remember about 15-18 years ago I made
a garden in another location in the yard and there was a lot of branches
were buried under the soil.