DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need info on leather /fabric sofas (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/101462-need-info-leather-fabric-sofas.html)

[email protected] April 3rd 05 06:43 PM

Need info on leather /fabric sofas

Hi

Need info on leather /fabric sofas

We are thinking of buying a new sofa set.
We are thinking of beige, light cream.

We have 2 kids 12 and 9. Both like to munch snacks on the sofa while
watching TV.

What are your thoughts re cleaning light colored leather from snack
stains ?

What are the main drawbacks to leather sofas ? or pluses
compared to fabric ? besides price

Does leather get stretched and look saggy(creases and waves) in a short
while ? Does it get crumpled looking ?

I am worried that in the showroom the leather sofas looks good but I do
not what it will look like in a year or so ?
Because I have never had one.So I have no experience.

Thanks
Tina

KLS April 3rd 05 07:39 PM

On 3 Apr 2005 10:43:35 -0700, wrote:

What are your thoughts re cleaning light colored leather from snack
stains ?

Not much stains leather (oils mainly), and it's pretty easy to clean
up.

What are the main drawbacks to leather sofas ? or pluses
compared to fabric ? besides price

None except that it can be cold upon first sitting, but your body heat
will warm it up. It also might show scratches, but those also fade
out over time with wear (I know this because I have dogs that jump on
mine). I think overall it's a fantastic material for high-use areas.

Does leather get stretched and look saggy(creases and waves) in a short
while ? Does it get crumpled looking ?

Not really. Some of the really soft leathers, the ones more like
suede, can do that, but I wouldn't recommend that type for your use.

I am worried that in the showroom the leather sofas looks good but I do
not what it will look like in a year or so ?

It won't look a lot different beyond just not looking brand new; it
will look just fine. Leather wears well.