DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Transformers (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/68677-transformers.html)

Rusty September 16th 04 06:32 PM

Transformers

Forgive my ignorance. Is a DC transformer different than AC transformer?

Robin Graham September 16th 04 07:08 PM

"Rusty" wrote in message
Forgive my ignorance. Is a DC transformer different than AC transformer?

You can't actually transform DC. You need alternating current to allow it to
happen (explanation available on request). To change one DC voltage to
another, which is what a transformer does, is possible but you need a
converter which is basically an electric motor driving a generator which
emits a different voltage to that required by the motor.

Rob Graham

Rusty September 16th 04 08:17 PM

Robin Graham wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in message

Forgive my ignorance. Is a DC transformer different than AC transformer?

You can't actually transform DC. You need alternating current to allow it to
happen (explanation available on request). To change one DC voltage to
another, which is what a transformer does, is possible but you need a
converter which is basically an electric motor driving a generator which
emits a different voltage to that required by the motor.

Rob Graham

In that case, do they make bridge rectifiers for 2000+ volts AC?

Robin Graham September 16th 04 08:42 PM

In that case, do they make bridge rectifiers for 2000+ volts AC?

That I don't know. Google should help you.

Rob

loedown September 16th 04 11:23 PM

Hi All,
Domestic microwave rectifiers are rated at 12,000 volts from
memory.

Paul