DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Lithium battery capacities (18650). (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/382343-re-lithium-battery-capacities-18650-a.html)

Tough Guy no. 1265 August 1st 15 09:00 PM

Lithium battery capacities (18650).

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:26:06 -0000, Ian Field wrote:

Having discovered that recycling bins in various shops are a good source of
lithium battery packs that can be put to various uses, I notice quite a
spread in claimed Ah capacities on the information labels.

The first aquisition was labelled "5.2Ah" - there weren't any parallel
combinations as it contained an uneven number of cells.

The next rescue was marked "4.2Ah", and contained 3 sets of parallel pairs -
so I assume the individual cell capacity is 2.1Ah.

The next was lowest yet at 2.0Ah.

This seems to be quite a spread for apparently identical cells, so I'm
wondering if I'm missing something?!

Thanks for any help.

On a similar note, I bought some Lithium Ion AA batteries from China on Ebay. They claim to be 2.5 amp hours. Yet a 1 amp charger fills them in just over an hour. I suspect they lie about the capacity.

--
But she was always fat. She was born an only twin.

Ian Field August 1st 15 09:55 PM

wrote:

[...]

Anything over 2000 mAh claimed for an 18650 cell is probably porkies.

Tough Guy no. 1265 August 1st 15 11:30 PM

Nitecore sell 2600mAh ones: http://www.nitecore.com/

--
Keyboard error - press any key to continue...