Electronics (alt.electronics)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steve

Default Capacitor Question

Hi,

I've got 4 capacitors with the following specs:

CAPACITOR, 4700UF 400V;
Capacitor dielectric type: Aluminium Electrolytic;
Temperature, operating (a) max: 85°C;
Temperature, operating (a) min: -40°C;
Time, operating life: 3000h;
Current, ripple AC @ 100Hz: 14.22A;
Current, ripple AC @ 10kHz: 19.91A;
Frequency, ESR: 100Hz;
Resistance, ESR: 38mR;
Temperature, ESR: 20°C;
Temperature, operating life: 85°C;
Temperature, ripple current: 85°C;
Tolerance, +: 20%;

I plan to combine the 4 to make a large capacitor of 800V @ 9400uF (2 pairs
in parallel connected together in series). I was then hoping to use this
large capacitor in a coilgun (e.g. charge them up and discharge them through
a coil). My question is, are these capacitors suitable for such an
application? In particular, should these be discharged through a coil (they
won't blow up will they)? Im aware of the electrical dangers (touch them
and die basically) but I'm not sure about the suitability for my
application.

If you have any info or advice then I'll be glad to here it.

Thanks in advance.