DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   High-speed ADC data acquisition: affordable solutions? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/36820-high-speed-adc-data-acquisition-affordable-solutions.html)

Sidney Cadot June 9th 04 12:50 AM

High-speed ADC data acquisition: affordable solutions?

Hi all,

For hobby purposes (satisfying my curiosity; checking the quality of
digital audio extraction) I would like to get a digitized representation
of the raw signal as picked up by the reflected laser sensor of a CD
player, preferably at something like 8-bit resolution with 10--20
Msamples/sec (although I probably could get away with as little as 5
Msamples/sec).

Ideally, I would like to be able to sample an entire 74 minute CD in
this way in one go, which would mean I would need to store a few tens of
gigabytes of data - fortunately, harddisk space is cheap these days.

The most obvious solution would be to have a rather high speed ADC on a
board with a PCI interface, along with software capable of capturing
directly to the hard disk.

Does anyone here have suggestions/recommendations/alternatives as to
what kind of gear I would need to do this? Budget-wise, I'd be willing
to spend a couple of hundred dollars but not much more. I don't even
know if what I want is at all possible in this price range.

Best regards,

Sidney Cadot
The Netherlands