Electronics (alt.electronics)

Yeti

Default Radio transmission question -need help

Hi All,
My apologies if this question is too off topic for this group, but I have
had no luck with an answer anywhere else.
I have gone through three X10 Powermid remote signal extenders all with the
same problem.
These devices receive an IR signal, convert it to radio waves (UHF, I
think), transmit to the receiver which converts it back to an IR signal.
This allows you to operate remote control equipment from different rooms in
your house.
The problem is this...
No matter where I put the devices they always work intermittantly.
I understand about interference but this seems independant of that.
Is there anyway to improve the transmission/reception of these devices.
The receivers come with extendable radio antennas about 4 inches long.
The transmitters have no external antenna.
Can I improve the antenna by changing the length/add radio reflective or
opaque material, anything else??
I have tried these device in line of sight within a few feet of each other
and the intermittent functioning continues.
I have also tried other brands of remote extenders with simeral results in
different houses.
This seems to be a very common problem with thses type devices.
I do not know the transmission frequencies of the device.
Searches for info on the internet have proved useless as well as inquiries
to the manufacturers.
Can anyone help!!!!!!!!!
Many thanks in advance to anyone who posts a reply.

Yeti.
Art

Very dependent on operating environment. Fluorescent Lights and other IR
sources will affect usable range and may cause intermittent operations. It
is highly probable that the frequency range these operate within is used buy
other devices that will affect the usable range. Some of the more expensive
devices are switchable as far as the operational RF Frequencies they employ
but are still affected by the eternal IR sources. I have units designed
for RCA and Motorola and have encountered precisely the same conditional
operational dilemma you are discussing.
"Yeti" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Walters

My father-in-law has one of these, and it had a similar problem. Make
sure the IR LED is right up against the IR sensor on the rf
transmitter perfectly square. Also, try changing the batteries. It
might help to isolate the ir transmission with a piece of black tape
so there's no interference from fluorescent lights.