Electronics (alt.electronics)

Darren

Default fridge powerd by an inverter?

Hi, I have sold a guy a 600w modified sine inverter, was tested before it
was sent away, he received it but he couldnt get it to work (he wants it for
his fridge), so he brought it back to me. I tested it and it didnt work so I
gave him a new one, I tested it infront of him with a 500w jigsaw, worked
fine. I got a call from him two hours later, he said he tested it on his
drill it workd fine then he put it on his 300w fridge but it didnt work so
he tried the drill again and that didnt work either. So now he has blown up
two inverters.
The inverter has a overload cut off so I dont see how the fridge could blow
up the inverters, anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Darren

scada

"Darren" wrote in message
Hi, I have sold a guy a 600w modified sine inverter, was tested before it
was sent away, he received it but he couldnt get it to work (he wants it

for
his fridge), so he brought it back to me. I tested it and it didnt work so

gave him a new one, I tested it infront of him with a 500w jigsaw, worked
fine. I got a call from him two hours later, he said he tested it on his
drill it workd fine then he put it on his 300w fridge but it didnt work so
he tried the drill again and that didnt work either. So now he has blown

up
two inverters.
The inverter has a overload cut off so I dont see how the fridge could

blow
up the inverters, anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Darren

Start up current for a compressor is generally 5-6 times the running
current!

Bryan Swadener

"scada" wrote in message
. net...

"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

....for a period less than that of the overload cutoff to respond, while the
active devices are being destroyed?

Form@C

On Sun, 02 May 2004 13:01:25 +0000, scada wrote:

"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

That is normal for a 3-phase motor. A single phase motor can be a lot
higher under some circumstances. Larger compressors often have relief
valves that take the load off during startup, but I wouldn't expect that
on a 300W fridge!

A fault on the fridge is possible. Mind you, it is also possible that the
fridge compressor actually takes a lot more than 6xFLC to get going for
some reason.

I'd be tempted to test the fridge with a suitable sample/hold ammeter to
measure the starting current before going any further. The inverter really
needs to be specified with a suitable characteristic for motor starting.

--
Cheers...
Mick

CampinGazz

"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

There is a company that sells inverters specificaly to run fridges in boats,
the model they sell has a 600 watt continuous output, and something like a
2.5 to 3 killowatt surge capacity, that's something that's not common on a
standard 600 watt inverter.

i fridge's compressor will pull a hell of a lot of current on start up,
easily more than a 'normal' inverter can supply, unless it's a 2000 watt
consinuouse unit with a surge that easily covers the surge at compressor
startup.

i'd tell him to stop blowing inverters, and get the details of what his
fridge really pulls (it's like people who buy a 700 watt inverter to run
their 700 watt microwave, that's just the cooking power, the actual power
drawn will be anything upto double the cooking power (i have a 550 watt
microwave in my motorhome, so you'd think a 600 watt inverter would cover it
with ease, but it's input power is 900 watts, with a larger surge on initial
start up on full power.. i can actually get this microwave to work on my 330
watt cheapo inverter, but only on the lowest setting and for a minute at the
most before the inverter trips out)

Leif Neland

CampinGazz wrote:
"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

It might be cheaper, and at least more power-efficient to get a fridge which
runs on the availabel voltage, eg 12V.

Leif

Fridge water supply Bob UK diy 19 June 16th 04 01:16 PM
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Temperature too high Lee UK diy 5 June 16th 04 12:21 AM
Integrated fridge John UK diy 3 April 29th 04 01:08 PM
Fridge freezer annoyance Craig Graham UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 11:12 PM
Problem with Fridge Freezer [email protected] UK diy 1 July 29th 03 10:23 PM