Electronics (alt.electronics)

-=Erx=-

Default Laptop LCD backlight problem

Hi,
I have a Dell Laptop and after a while the display did not work any more. I
opened the laptop to see if the flatcable between the display and the laptop
was broken. This was not the case.
When I closed the laptop again and put it on, it still did not work. Then I
grabed the display and the lights went on. But when I released the pressure
on the display they switch out.

Does anybody know how to open the display and fix those lights? The display
is not fixed with screws.

Thanx!

Greetings,

ErX.

Bert Dobrie

You will probably need to replace the LCD.

I have replaced several LCD's in Laptops. I always get the LCD from Ebay,
and I have not had any problems with this.

If you get a LCD from another source, you will pay up to $500, maybe more.
Look on Ebay for a laptop with the same LCD as yours with a bad motherboard.
Then salvage the LCD.

"-=Erx=-" wrote in message
l...
Hi,
I have a Dell Laptop and after a while the display did not work any more.

opened the laptop to see if the flatcable between the display and the

laptop
was broken. This was not the case.
When I closed the laptop again and put it on, it still did not work. Then

grabed the display and the lights went on. But when I released the

pressure
on the display they switch out.

Does anybody know how to open the display and fix those lights? The

display
is not fixed with screws.

Thanx!

Greetings,

ErX.

Randy \(castrate for reply\)

Sounds like bad (cold) solder joints. That screen does come apart. You
have to take the screen off the laptop body first. The screws are located
under the rubber bumbers on the screen. there may be sticky tape and
plastic catches also holding it together. Be careful, but it will come
apart.

-=Erx=-

Hi,
I found the problem. A (really) flatcable makes a curve inside the back of
the screen. When I push on the cable on this place the backlight switches
on. I put some tape to push it contineously, and that works. I know this is
not a common method to fix things, but I do not believe it is easy to
replace the flatcable.
But thanx for the hints.

Greetings,

ErX.