DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   GU10L transformer from Maplin (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/36497-gu10l-transformer-maplin.html)

Bones December 27th 03 07:43 PM

GU10L transformer from Maplin

Please help a newbie without a clue....

I have just purchased a GU10L mains to 12v AC transformer from Maplin. On
one side of the connector are the letters "TIP". What does this mean?

Many thanks

Bones.

UncleWobbly December 27th 03 09:43 PM

GU10L transformer from Maplin

Tip referes to the centre or outer most connector.

You will often see diagrams that refer to tip and ring If the connector has
a hole in the end of it and a single metal bit around the outside, the hole
is still referred to as the tip and the outer bit as the ring.

This diagram below might not turn out too well, but copy the text into word
or whatever and format with courier, or any fixed pitch font.

+-------------+
=================+ | | )
| +--------+--
+-------------+ ^ ^
| |
ring tip

Brian Gregory [UK] December 27th 03 11:19 PM

GU10L transformer from Maplin

"UncleWobbly" wrote in message
.. .
Tip referes to the centre or outer most connector.

Yes - usually there will be some way of lining TIP up with either "+" or
"-" to reverse the polarity of the output.

On an AC power supply it is of course irrelevant which is lines up with
TIP.

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).