DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Component ID (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/36409-component-id.html)

tiger x November 14th 03 12:53 AM

Component ID

Need help in ID'ing a component. Physically it looks like a SCR or
VR. It's leads are labeled G, MT2, MT1. Best guess at a mfg # is
BT134-500E.
Can anyone help?

Tiger

scada November 14th 03 09:53 PM

Component ID

"tiger x" wrote in message
om...
Need help in ID'ing a component. Physically it looks like a SCR or
VR. It's leads are labeled G, MT2, MT1. Best guess at a mfg # is
BT134-500E.
Can anyone help?

Tiger

That would be a "Triac". A triac is essentially an SCR in anti-parallel,
with a common gate.

G = gate
MT1 = Main terminal 1
MT2 = Main terminal 2

scada November 15th 03 01:19 AM

Component ID

"scada" wrote in message
et...

"tiger x" wrote in message
om...
Need help in ID'ing a component. Physically it looks like a SCR or
VR. It's leads are labeled G, MT2, MT1. Best guess at a mfg # is
BT134-500E.
Can anyone help?

Tiger

That would be a "Triac". A triac is essentially an SCR in anti-parallel,
with a common gate.

G = gate
MT1 = Main terminal 1
MT2 = Main terminal 2

I meant to say, A triac is essentially two SCR's in anti-parallel,
with a common gate. I could not find that part#, but with many applications
a replacement can be made with one that meets or exceeds the maximum voltage
& current rating that is to be switched!