DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   5v dc to 12v dc converter? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/36155-5v-dc-12v-dc-converter.html)

DelphiDude August 13th 03 03:59 PM

5v dc to 12v dc converter?

We have a bunch of perfectly good ethernet switches which have bad fans.
The problem is that the fans are 5 volt and the only power available in
the box is also 5 volts.

So far, the little 1&1/2 inch fans are not available anywhere that we can
find, but are an exact physical match for 12v CPU fans on older PCs, which
we have a ton of.

They take only a few mils to run.

Does anybody know of a dc to dc converter chip or a simple circuit that I
could mass produce to convert 5vdc to 12vdc? A voltage doubler maybe?

Thanks

DD

scada August 13th 03 09:55 PM

5v dc to 12v dc converter?

"DelphiDude" wrote in message
We have a bunch of perfectly good ethernet switches which have bad fans.
The problem is that the fans are 5 volt and the only power available in
the box is also 5 volts.

So far, the little 1&1/2 inch fans are not available anywhere that we can
find, but are an exact physical match for 12v CPU fans on older PCs, which
we have a ton of.

They take only a few mils to run.

Does anybody know of a dc to dc converter chip or a simple circuit that I
could mass produce to convert 5vdc to 12vdc? A voltage doubler maybe?

Thanks

DD

The LMC7660 should do the trick!

Rein Wiehler August 13th 03 11:02 PM

5v dc to 12v dc converter?

scada wrote:

"DelphiDude" wrote in message

We have a bunch of perfectly good ethernet switches which have bad fans.
The problem is that the fans are 5 volt and the only power available in
the box is also 5 volts.

So far, the little 1&1/2 inch fans are not available anywhere that we can
find, but are an exact physical match for 12v CPU fans on older PCs, which
we have a ton of.

They take only a few mils to run.

Does anybody know of a dc to dc converter chip or a simple circuit that I
could mass produce to convert 5vdc to 12vdc? A voltage doubler maybe?

Thanks

DD

The LMC7660 should do the trick!

the fans should need approx 100mA @ 12VDC. You have to check the fans!
a LMC7660 can not produce that much power. A 3-6Watt 5/12VDC switcher maybe.
rw
rw

DelphiDude August 14th 03 12:20 AM

5v dc to 12v dc converter?

the fans should need approx 100mA @ 12VDC. You have to check the fans!
a LMC7660 can not produce that much power. A 3-6Watt 5/12VDC switcher maybe.
rw

No. These are real small and thin fans and don't turn all that fast.
They were on some of the early 486's. Even stalled they only pull about
25 ma.

DelphiDude August 14th 03 12:21 AM

5v dc to 12v dc converter?

On

The LMC7660 should do the trick!

Thanks a bunch. So far, however, my usual suppliers don't carry them - Jamco,
BGMicro, etc. Still looking.

DD

Glen August 14th 03 04:42 AM

5v dc to 12v dc converter?

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:21:23 -0500, "DelphiDude"
wrote:

Check out www.digikey.com. They have some 17mm x 8mm Sunon 5V fans.
If you have a manuf. name and part number, you can probably find the
fans.

On