Electronics (alt.electronics)

Javier Ho

Default Analog vs Digital signals

Hi everyone,

I read from a book that there are situations whereby the usage of analog
signals is more economical or simpler than digital signals; such as that of
electrical supplies to our homes. Appreciate if could someone enlighten me
as to the rational behind this statement.

2 Thank you.

Regards,
Javier

default

Analog and Digital both have their uses. Your post is too vague.

The electrical supply to houses is analog because sine waves are easy
for transformers to convert, easy for motors to use, etc. (and rotary
generators, in power stations, produce sine waves). (and we've always
done it that way, the infra structure is in place and not easy/cheap
to change)

Analog is simpler with audio and video because audio and video are
both analog at the point of capture and the point of display. The
signals are digitized because it allows information to be transmitted
and stored with fewer losses in fidelity.

It sounds like the book you were reading is overly simplistic, or
maybe you're taking something out of context.

Generally speaking, there are clear advantages to either system
depending on the application.

The world is analog, digital is just handy for doing some things.