Electronics (alt.electronics)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tha PiRAyA

Default Microcontroller for serial->LCD interface

I have an old LCD screen from an Olivetti M10 (the same screen as the
Tandy M100), which I wish to interface with my PC. It is a 240x64 b/w
graphical display, controller by 10 HD44102 ICs. The control signals
to the LCD are esentially an unmultiplexed row/column selector for the
44102's, and an 8-bit bus which communicates with the currently
selected IC.
What I need is a microcontroller that can be programmed to interface
the RS232-port on my computer (or, failing that, the LPT port) to the
LCD.
In it's simplest form, it should accept serial input, and have enough
outputs to be able to select the HD44102 (10 bits, or just 4 bits fed
to a demultiplexer), and 8 bits data for the IC.
The interface doesn't *have* to be bidirectional, since most of the
work will be done by the PC and it wouldn't take too much to make the
program 'know' what's on the display without reading back display
memory. But it would be nice if it was possible.
I'm looking for a relatively cheap uC, one with flash or EEPROM for
fast reprogramming, and which is not too hard to program. I have only
programmed a couple of uCs before, they used ASM which I think will
get the job done here.
I am thankful for any suggestions, tips, ideas etc. thay any of you
might have regarding this project.