DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   15 AMP adaptor (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/300889-15-amp-adaptor.html)

Sicilian Dragon April 3rd 10 01:55 PM

15 AMP adaptor

I found a 15 AMP adaptor that converts 220 V AC from mains into 12
DC current at a shop. My question is will this adaptor be able to charge a
140 AH 12 V battery? The shopkeeper doesn't know anything about it. I'm not
concerned about over charging or anything like that just will it charge it?
My understanding is that the voltage from a charger should be slightly
higher than 12 V if it is to be able to charge a battery of 12 V??

Tim Watts April 3rd 10 08:06 PM

15 AMP adaptor

Sicilian Dragon
wibbled on Saturday 03 April 2010 13:55

I found a 15 AMP adaptor that converts 220 V AC from mains into 12
DC current at a shop. My question is will this adaptor be able to charge a
140 AH 12 V battery? The shopkeeper doesn't know anything about it. I'm
not concerned about over charging or anything like that just will it
charge it? My understanding is that the voltage from a charger should be
slightly higher than 12 V if it is to be able to charge a battery of 12
V??

Lead acid car/truck battery?

If so, those are typically charged to around 14.5V give or take, so you need
a little higher open circuit voltage to succeed.

How powerful is the "adaptor" (eg wattage, VA or output current rating)?

--
Tim Watts

James Sweet[_3_] April 4th 10 03:18 AM

15 AMP adaptor

Sicilian Dragon wrote:
I found a 15 AMP adaptor that converts 220 V AC from mains into 12
DC current at a shop. My question is will this adaptor be able to charge a
140 AH 12 V battery? The shopkeeper doesn't know anything about it. I'm not
concerned about over charging or anything like that just will it charge it?
My understanding is that the voltage from a charger should be slightly
higher than 12 V if it is to be able to charge a battery of 12 V??

Is the adapter regulated to 12V, or is that the nominal rating? If the
latter, it should work, but I would certainly not leave it connected
unattended. You don't want to come back to find the electrolyte merrily
boiling away. Use a multimeter to measure the voltage out of the thing
open circuit as well as connected to the battery and check it
periodically so it doesn't overcharge.

Proteus IIV April 15th 10 04:21 AM

15 AMP adaptor

THE KEYWROD HERE IS EFFICIENCY

AS IN
THE MORE YOU TRANSFORM A WAVEFORM THE LESSER EFFICIENT THE RESULTS
THOUGH A GOOD DESIGNER FINDS A WAY TO COMPENSATE FOR ANY LOSS IN THE
PROCESS

I AM PROTEUS

Brian Gregory [UK] May 9th 10 12:07 AM

15 AMP adaptor

"Sicilian Dragon" wrote in message
I found a 15 AMP adaptor that converts 220 V AC from mains into 12
DC current at a shop. My question is will this adaptor be able to charge a
140 AH 12 V battery? The shopkeeper doesn't know anything about it. I'm
not concerned about over charging or anything

You *MUST* be concerned about overcharging.
Overcharging can be dangerous and can damage batteries quickly.

like that just will it charge it? My understanding is that the voltage
from a charger should be slightly higher than 12 V if it is to be able to
charge a battery of 12 V??

A lot depends on the type of battery. But in general a simple power supply
is a very different beast from a battery charger and using a power supply
as-is to charge a battery will be dangerous and/or expensive.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.