DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Hot air soldering (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/205755-hot-air-soldering.html)

[email protected] July 7th 07 09:12 AM

Hot air soldering

Have a strange question here, Im looking to achieve the effect of a
£300-£1300 device with a budget of only £120.

Ok im seen that there are some gass powered soldering irons by weller
that have a "hot air nozel" attachment. now I fond that they state a
temperature from 250C to 450C is achievable as it has adjustment. Now
I cant find any info on it being used for hot air soldering/
desoldering just that it is suitable for small "heat sink
applications".

weller site details:
WSTA6
"Non igniting butane gas operated soldering iron 15 W - 60 W.
Temperature is controlled by increasing and decreasing gas flow to the
tip. Heating-up time about 30 sec.The soldering tip can be replaced
with a hot blow nozzle which is sui- table for small heat shrink
applications. Reservoir in the handle gives approx. one hours use."

My question is do they mean hot air of hot air + combustion :) I dont
want a blow torch.

A hot air soldering station costs a hell of a lot of money and I only
need it to solder some smt parts using solder past, none of the
numerous attachments for desoldering etc required. I can check the
temperature of the output with a probe, will this little iron do the
job ?

Thanks for your time.

[email protected] July 27th 07 12:10 AM

Hot air soldering

On Jul 7, 2:12 am, wrote:
[...]

These units have a chamber filled with something resembling glass
fibers; after initial heating, the butane fuel catalytically
decomposes in the fiber bed, producing lots of heat without a true
open flame. While they probably wouldn't be safe in an explosive
atmosphere, they are definitely a different breed from an (open flame)
torch. I have several that have worked fine for many years. However,
I don't have the "hot blow nozzle". I have used the heat blowing out
of the fiber chamber to shrink small tubes without charring.