DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   30 feet comp to stereo, any problems? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/201991-30-feet-comp-stereo-any-problems.html)

Dave Smith May 27th 07 05:12 PM

30 feet comp to stereo, any problems?

I want to hook the audio output from my computer to my stereo. It's
about a 30 foot run. Do I need to use shielded wiring for a run this
long? I don't know much about this kind of setup so any advice would
be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Charles May 27th 07 11:19 PM

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
I want to hook the audio output from my computer to my stereo. It's
about a 30 foot run. Do I need to use shielded wiring for a run this
long? I don't know much about this kind of setup so any advice would

I'd use shielded, but you can most likely get by with ordinary
two-conductor.

Niko Hujanen May 28th 07 03:49 AM

30 feet comp to stereo, any problems?

"Charles" kirjoitti viestissä
. ..

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
I want to hook the audio output from my computer to my stereo. It's
about a 30 foot run. Do I need to use shielded wiring for a run this
long? I don't know much about this kind of setup so any advice would

I'd use shielded, but you can most likely get by with ordinary
two-conductor.

Since computer itself is a big noice source I would say that it really
doesn't matter what cable you will use. I would go for cheapest possible
first and change it to shielded if needed.

Geoff May 29th 07 02:42 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
I want to hook the audio output from my computer to my stereo. It's
about a 30 foot run. Do I need to use shielded wiring for a run this
long? I don't know much about this kind of setup so any advice would
be appreciated.

Thanks very much

30 feet may be a bit far wrt shunt capacitance in the cable if thin cable
used. Also you are quite likely to get noise from a potential ground-loop.

geoff

Dave Smith May 30th 07 12:17 AM

30 feet comp to stereo, any problems?

On Sun, 27 May 2007 09:12:02 -0700, Dave Smith
wrote:

I want to hook the audio output from my computer to my stereo. It's
about a 30 foot run. Do I need to use shielded wiring for a run this
long? I don't know much about this kind of setup so any advice would
be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Just to report back, I used a 36foot length of RCA cable from Radio
Shack and it works great! $19.95

Thanks for all the help.

Dave