DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   327 LAMP-EXTRACTOR TOOL ANYONE?? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/195754-327-lamp-extractor-tool-anyone.html)

Terry March 21st 07 01:10 PM

327 LAMP-EXTRACTOR TOOL ANYONE??

Years ago, Microswitch Corp. manufactured a series of panel
switch/indicator assemblies. From the front they appeared rectangular,
had provisions for inserting legends, and contained 28V type 327
midget flanged lamps. Versions were available as simple indicators,
mechanical latching switches, solenoid-held latching switches, etc.
You've seen them in footage of NASA installations where panels are
loaded with the flashing rectangular thingies.

I have a project in which I need to replace some of the 327 lamps, and
the only sane way to do it is to use an extraction tool. I had one
here, but when I went to use it one of the legs broke (corrosion, old
age, I guess).

Does anyone know where I could obtain one of these extraction tools?
Google has come up blank for me. The tool looks like tweezers. The
"business end" is slid down over the lamp until slots in each leg grab
the flange at the bottom of the lamp. The legs are then squeezed and
pulled up and out.

TIA--Cheers
Terry--WB4FXD
Edenton, NC

Al March 21st 07 07:42 PM

327 LAMP-EXTRACTOR TOOL ANYONE??

In article ,
(Terry) wrote:

[...]

Can't you fabricate one. It seems like it should be fairly easy to do,
esp. if you can't find one for sale for loan.

I wind up making all kinds of gizmos like that for myself when I do my
projects.

Al

Ross Herbert March 22nd 07 01:34 AM

327 LAMP-EXTRACTOR TOOL ANYONE??

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:10:52 GMT, (Terry)
wrote:

[...]

Have you tried using a short length of appropriate diameter pvc tubing
(spaghetti)? It sould be slightly smaller diameter than the lamp so
that some force has to be used to get it to stretch over the bulb.

This was a common trick used in telephone exchanges to remove lamps
when you couldn't find a convenient lamp extractor.

JeffM March 22nd 07 05:32 PM

Terry wrote:
I need to replace some of the 327 lamps,
and the only sane way to do it is to use an extraction tool.
I had one here, but when I went to use it one of the legs broke

The tool looks like tweezers.
The "business end" is slid down over the lamp
until slots in each leg grab the flange at the bottom of the lamp.
The legs are then squeezed and pulled up and out.
Terry--WB4FXD

http://66.102.9.104/froogle?scoring=...l+Lamp+OR+bulb

There is no need to make your Subject line all uppercase.
Indeed, it is considered bad form, as it is the notation for SHOUTING.
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...j0ww&scoring=d
Discontinue this practice immediately.

Terry March 26th 07 01:38 PM

wrote:

=
=Years ago, Microswitch Corp. manufactured a series of panel
=switch/indicator assemblies......
Thanks to all who replied. I have a feeling these wee beasties were
discontinued a long time ago. Fabricating one seems to be the way to
go!

And as far as the caps in the header, my apologies. Never again! :)

Cheers--
Terry--WB4FXD
Edenton, NC