DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Running an empty microwave oven (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/189716-running-empty-microwave-oven.html)

Peter Hucker January 19th 07 09:13 PM

Running an empty microwave oven

Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

A Pakistani arrives in London City all excited. He stops the first person he meets. "Good day, Mr. British, thank you to accept me in Your nice country", but the person interrupts and says: "I am not British, I'm Chinese."
The Pakistani continues on his way and meets another passer-by. "Thank you Mr. British for to let my family and me stay here... " Again, he's interrupted before finishing his sentence. "I no be British, I be Turk!"
He goes a little farther and meets another person and greets him "thank you for letting me come to your beautiful country." ... "I'm not British, I'm Kosavon."
"But," answers the Pakistani distressed, "where are the British??"
The Kosavon looks at his watch and says ..... "Probably at work."

Jon Elson January 19th 07 09:26 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:

Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating,

That would be a Magnetron tube, and yes, I thenk they all have a
thermostat on
the tube. This is also to prevent a fire if the cooling fan seizes up.
But, in the
case of no food to absorb the microwave energy, the reflected power can
build up
higher than normal voltages in the tube and cause permanent damage
before the
entire anode overheats.

or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

Parrots? What about kids? I suspect quite a few microwaves get "toasted"
by kids turning them on empty. I know they can survive a few seconds of
this abuse without noticeable damage. You could unplug it or leave the door
open (I'm pretty sure a parrot couldn't close the door.)

Jon

Alison January 20th 07 11:02 AM

Peter Hucker wrote in message news:op.tme3s0ec4buhsv@fx62...

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm

concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do
stuff like that)

Parrots. Cool :-)

Leave a cup of water in it. Or something like those heat up aromatherapy
bags, the ones that have lots of little cherry stones in it.

Peter Hucker January 20th 07 05:56 PM

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:02:05 -0000, Alison "invalid" wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote in message news:op.tme3s0ec4buhsv@fx62...

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm

concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do
stuff like that)

Parrots. Cool :-)

13 of them. Messy. Noisy. But fun.

Leave a cup of water in it. Or something like those heat up aromatherapy
bags, the ones that have lots of little cherry stones in it.

That would only delay the problem. And I'd never remember to put a glass of water in after each time I use it.

I want to know what happens if it is switched on empty. The instructions just say it will damage it. That doesn't bother me too much, it was a very cheap one. As long as it doesn't explode or catch fire when I'm out of the house.

What's the difference between spit and swallow?
Forty pounds of pressure on the back of her head.

Peter Hucker January 20th 07 06:02 PM

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:26:35 -0000, Jon Elson wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating,

That would be a Magnetron tube, and yes, I thenk they all have a
thermostat on
the tube. This is also to prevent a fire if the cooling fan seizes up.
But, in the
case of no food to absorb the microwave energy, the reflected power can
build up
higher than normal voltages in the tube and cause permanent damage
before the
entire anode overheats.

So it'll just break? That's good to know. I don't want to lose a house or a parrot while out at work.

or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

Parrots? What about kids? I suspect quite a few microwaves get "toasted"
by kids turning them on empty.

That's a point, it must happen a lot. If they caught fire or exploded, we'd see it on the news.

I know they can survive a few seconds of
this abuse without noticeable damage.

I once went for an interview at a company that makes magnetrons. As far as I know there is a thing that absorbs all returning microwaves. Wouldn't this just have a temperature sensor in it that would shut off the oven?

You could unplug it

The plug is behind the fridge. I used to plug it in above the worktop, but the parrots ate the plug!

or leave the door open (I'm pretty sure a parrot couldn't close the door.)

I bet it could, if it wanted to. But they are more interested in opening or breaking things. Parrots do not tidy or assemble things.

If I leave the door open, one will climb inside and chew up the cover that's over the magnetron output (it looks to be card).

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

PeterD January 20th 07 10:03 PM

Running an empty microwave oven

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:56:34 -0000, "Peter Hucker"
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:02:05 -0000, Alison "invalid" wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote in message news:op.tme3s0ec4buhsv@fx62...

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm

concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do
stuff like that)

Parrots. Cool :-)

13 of them. Messy. Noisy. But fun.

Leave a cup of water in it. Or something like those heat up aromatherapy
bags, the ones that have lots of little cherry stones in it.

That would only delay the problem. And I'd never remember to put a glass of water in after each time I use it.

I want to know what happens if it is switched on empty. The instructions just say it will damage it. That doesn't bother me too much, it was a very cheap one. As long as it doesn't explode or catch fire when I'm out of the house.

Look, the only safe thing is to unplug it. Even a glass of water won't
provide protection if they turn it on for 20 minutes! Use a short,
heavy duty (12 awg) extension cord, or some other similar device.

Either that, or make up a metal shield to cover the controls...

Jon Elson January 20th 07 11:26 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:

Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating,

That would be a Magnetron tube, and yes, I thenk they all have a
thermostat on
the tube. This is also to prevent a fire if the cooling fan seizes up.
But, in the
case of no food to absorb the microwave energy, the reflected power can
build up
higher than normal voltages in the tube and cause permanent damage
before the
entire anode overheats.

So it'll just break? That's good to know. I don't want to lose a house or a parrot while out at work.

Well, if it has the safety thermostat on the anode, then it will
just shut down, probably forever. I have no idea whether the
safety thermostat is mandated by law or required by testing
agencies like UL, and whether the really cheap ones from China
have them. Without the safety stat, I don't know what would happen.

That's a point, it must happen a lot. If they caught fire or exploded, we'd see it on the news.

Well, I think there have been some fires from them, but probably
not a lot.

I once went for an interview at a company that makes magnetrons. As far as I know there is a thing that absorbs all returning microwaves. Wouldn't this just have a temperature sensor in it that would shut off the oven?

Not in an oven. Maybe in a radar transmitter, they have an
expensive part called a circulator that splits waves going in
different directions, and shunts returning waves to a terminating
resistor. Nothing like that in a microwave oven, believe me.

Jon

colin January 22nd 07 03:18 PM

Running an empty microwave oven

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will

break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating,

or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm

concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do
stuff like that)

When I designed some of the early mcu controllers for them eons ago
we used to give them a heck of a lot of abuse such
as running them empty to try and get the mcu to crash,
(wich with a piggy back eprom mcu was all too easy)
ofc always a microwave leakage meter nearby,
the most spectacular thing was to melt the glass tray,
the turntable mechanism was the first thing to melt usually.

If theres food inside it will eventually catch fire and the flames will come
out of the back,
this was a serious liability worry at the time I assume theyve added some
safty things since I worked on them.

Some have water vapour detectors wich sense the peak and stop cooking, I
assume they will stop if nothing is detected.

Colin =^.^=

Peter Hucker January 22nd 07 08:01 PM

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:18:49 -0000, colin wrote:

[...]

This is a £27 Tesco Value microwave - probably only has legal safety requirements.

I've already turned it on momentarily with nothing in it, as I'm used to an electronic one. If my food has gone cold due to a phonecall etc, I tend to shove it in and just turn the timer round to get it to go, then open the door after 20 seconds. The electronic ones cancelled the timer when you opened the door, but this one turns back on when you shut the door.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, 1949

Peter Hucker January 22nd 07 08:05 PM

wrote:

[...]

Nowhere is safe to plug it in without them chewing the plug. The plug has to be out of sight, which means I can't get to it to turn it off.

Either that, or make up a metal shield to cover the controls...

I bit of a hassle, and I'm useless at that kind of thing. And too lazy to do so unless I'm sure it would explode. Maybe I should buy another one and try it in the garden....

Condoms aren't completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one and got hit by a bus.

colin January 23rd 07 01:53 AM

wrote:

[...]

Well, we used to leave them on for 24 hours soak test, if you put anything
in them it would be long incinerated by then,
so they were run empty,
they used to end up real hot but theres probably only about 600W of
microwave heating power plus losses ofc and theres a fan wich gets rid of
most of the heat so total temp rise is limited, the only real danger that I
can see is that it gets so hot the plastic/ferrite door seal melts,
this is serious becuase it is essential to form a safe seal from microwave
energy leaking past the door,
if the electronics gets too hot and melts it should safely blow the fuse and
so will no work again so should be safe.
if the magnetron blows up ofc this will probably also blow the fuse and end
up safe.
If the fan vent gets blocked this would probably make a meltdown more
certain.
ofc we did this in a building with little risk of any fire spreading.

but I assume theres a maximum limit on the timer ? polly would have to keep
setting it to max to cuase a problem I would think.
However this is by no means saying that it is safe, just that it is not
definatly going to be dangerous.
I wouldnt dare do that sort of thing these days lol.
I just hope your parrot doesnt learn how to open the door !

Colin =^.^=

Geoff January 23rd 07 02:58 AM

Peter Hucker wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will
break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron
overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control.
I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously,
they do stuff like that)

They will never reach the button, from inside.

CDs go really well in microwaves !

geoff

Warren Weber January 23rd 07 03:37 AM

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Parrots are smart. One will go inside, next one could shut the door and turn
it on. Baked parrot for supper?

Snap Whipcrack.............. January 23rd 07 05:49 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

Peter Hucker January 23rd 07 09:01 PM

wrote:

[...]

Sounds reassuring. But does this also apply to cheap ones?

but I assume theres a maximum limit on the timer ? polly would have to keep
setting it to max to cuase a problem I would think.

Most likely they'd turn it slightly, about 5 minutes. When the thing turned on they'd probably get a fright and fly off anyway.

However this is by no means saying that it is safe, just that it is not
definatly going to be dangerous.
I wouldnt dare do that sort of thing these days lol.
I just hope your parrot doesnt learn how to open the door !

I can't see them opening the door. The like to twist and chew stuff. The door requires a hard pull (no button to push).

A father is someone who carries pictures where his money used to be.

Peter Hucker January 23rd 07 09:02 PM

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 02:37:50 -0000, Warren Weber wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will
break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating,
or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm
concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do
stuff like that)

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Parrots are smart. One will go inside, next one could shut the door and turn
it on. Baked parrot for supper?

As far as I know they're vegetarian.

NEWSFLASH!!! Bouncing elephantiasis woman destroys central Portsmouth

Peter Hucker January 23rd 07 09:02 PM

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:49:43 -0000, Snap Whipcrack.............. wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

Q. What's hairy on the outside, wet on the inside, begins with a "C" and ends with a "T"?
A. A coconut.

Daniel Mandic January 23rd 07 09:59 PM

Running an empty microwave oven

Peter Hucker wrote:

(Seriously,
they do stuff like that)

Aha. My Cats like to turn on my Vaccuum cleaner and I get shocked, in
the first moments. :)

(Seriously, I have left the Vacuum cleaner connected to the wall-socket
many times, indeed. But it was never on, when I came back home)

Snap Whipcrack.............. January 24th 07 03:53 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

It dissipates. Where do you think the microwave transmitters on mountain
tops power ends up? It doesn't go round and round the earth forever.

Brewer720 January 24th 07 08:35 PM

On Jan 19, 3:13 pm, "Peter Hucker" wrote:
[...]

Why would a parrot turn on a microwave oven? Is he pining for the
fjords? Sorry... I couldn't resist.

Seriously, perhaps you could put a large bowl or something in there so
that the door can't be closed. If the door can't close, no matter what
the parrot does the safety interlock would prevent the oven from
starting.

Geoff January 25th 07 01:19 AM

Brewer720 wrote:
Seriously, perhaps you could put a large bowl or something in there

Parrot soup ?

geoff

Fred McKenzie January 25th 07 08:22 PM

Running an empty microwave oven

wrote:
Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

Peter-

If there is nothing in the microwave, there is no load, or at least very
little. If there is no load, there is no power dissipated. It is
somewhat like having 120 VAC at the wall socket with nothing plugged-in.

The problem isn't heat as much as voltage. With no load, the magnetron
voltage will be higher than normal. The question is really whether or
not damage will occur from over-voltage.

Someone in another thread a few weeks ago, said that only very early
microwave ovens would be damaged by running them empty. I know that one
I bought in 1976 came with a warning about running it empty, as well as
not putting anything metallic in it. However, two that were bought
about ten years ago did NOT come with such warnings, and even came with
metal racks!

Fred

Peter Hucker January 26th 07 08:13 PM

wrote:
Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

Peter-

If there is nothing in the microwave, there is no load, or at least very
little. If there is no load, there is no power dissipated. It is
somewhat like having 120 VAC at the wall socket with nothing plugged-in.

I don't think you're right. The magnetron is converting electricity to microwaves and transmitting them, at a rate of several hundred watts. They come out of the magnetron and bounce around the oven until they are absorbed by water. If they are not absorbed, they will eventually bounce back into the magetron and cause damage.

The problem isn't heat as much as voltage. With no load, the magnetron
voltage will be higher than normal. The question is really whether or
not damage will occur from over-voltage.

Someone in another thread a few weeks ago, said that only very early
microwave ovens would be damaged by running them empty. I know that one
I bought in 1976 came with a warning about running it empty, as well as
not putting anything metallic in it. However, two that were bought
about ten years ago did NOT come with such warnings,

I just bought a very cheap one (£27) which DID come with a warning. It says "damage to the oven may occur".

and even came with metal racks!

The metal is only a problem in certain shapes I believe. All it does is provide a short circuit from point A to point B for the microwaves. If the metal is thin (eg. gold plating) it will be damaged by heat, just as a thin wire would be conducting electricity.

These questions about South Africa were posted on a South African Tourism
Website and were answered by the website owner.

Q: Does it ever get windy in South Africa? I have never seen it rain on TV, so how do the plants grow? (UK)
A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see elephants in the street? (USA)
A: Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Durban to Cape Town - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it's only two thousand kilometres, take lots of water...

Q: Can you give me some information about Koala Bear racing in South Africa? (USA)
A: Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the pacific. A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe which does not... oh forget it. Sure, the Koala Bear racing is every Tuesday night in Hillbrow. Come naked.

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Hillbrow, straight after the Koala Bear races. Come naked.

Q: Do you have perfume in South Africa? (France)
A: No, WE don't stink.

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in South Africa? (USA)
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q: Are there killer bees in South Africa? (Germany)
A: Not yet, but for you, we'll import them.

Q: Are there supermarkets in Cape Town and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter-gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Will I be able to speek English most places I go? (USA)
A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.

Peter Hucker January 26th 07 08:14 PM

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:35:58 -0000, Brewer720 wrote:

[...]

I cannot leave the door open. They will go inside and chew things, like the cardboard (?!) cover over the magnetron.

What does a Polish woman do after she sucks a cock?
Spits out the feathers.

Peter Hucker January 26th 07 08:14 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

It dissipates. Where do you think the microwave transmitters on mountain
tops power ends up? It doesn't go round and round the earth forever.

It's absorbed into water, in lakes for example.

A closed microwave has nothing that can absorb it.

Advice for office managers:
If you keep the sexual harassment complaint forms in the bottom drawer, then when a woman gets one out you'll get a great view of her arse.

Peter Hucker January 26th 07 08:15 PM

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:59:45 -0000, Daniel Mandic wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

(Seriously,
they do stuff like that)

Aha. My Cats like to turn on my Vaccuum cleaner and I get shocked, in
the first moments. :)

(Seriously, I have left the Vacuum cleaner connected to the wall-socket
many times, indeed. But it was never on, when I came back home)

I have had them chew through the flex.

When eating a tongue sandwich, how do you know when you've finished?

Daniel Mandic January 26th 07 10:18 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:

I have had them chew through the flex.

Mine not. They know the difference of high-power and low-power flex.

Cats do like to chew low-power (e.g mouse cable) cables ;-)

High Power is lethal. I have learned that the cats very early and they
understood.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

colin January 27th 07 02:34 AM

wrote:

[...]

Some of the ones we had were quite cheap, actually some were pretty awfull,
and some of the controllers we had to make had to be so cheap it was a
shame.
the basic magnetron/oven arangement was hardly any different from the cheap
to expensive ones.

but I assume theres a maximum limit on the timer ? polly would have to

keep
setting it to max to cuase a problem I would think.

Most likely they'd turn it slightly, about 5 minutes. When the thing

turned on they'd probably get a fright and fly off anyway.

I doubt it would go pop after 5 minutes just becuase it was empty, I would
be even more surprised if it became dengerous after 5 minutes on empty too,
either way the manafacturer would probably have a liability waiting to
happen.

If you do decide to try it empty despite what the manafacturer tells you its
on your own risk ofc, make sure the glass tray is still in as that does
absorb some microwave energy.

a CD makes an interesting display when you put it in the microwave.

I can't see them opening the door. The like to twist and chew stuff. The

door requires a hard pull (no button to push).

One of my cats managed to repeatedly get out of a locked cat flap. I couldnt
figure out how untill I watched once.
animals can surprise you sometimes.

Colin =^.^=

colin January 27th 07 02:38 AM

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:
[...]

The glass tray will usually absorb some of the microwave, basically when its
empty the electric field builds up to such a high value that it eventually
gets absorbed by something somewhere, or it ends up disipating in sparking
wich can be quite spectacular if have two bits of unconnected metal close to
eachother.

Colin =^.^=

Snap Whipcrack.............. January 28th 07 04:35 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

Same question, where do the light waves go from the light inside the
microwave? Same energy, just higher frequency and lower power. Same
place as the microwaves.

Peter Hucker January 28th 07 07:14 PM

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:18:46 -0000, Daniel Mandic wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

I have had them chew through the flex.

Mine not. They know the difference of high-power and low-power flex.

Cats do like to chew low-power (e.g mouse cable) cables ;-)

High Power is lethal. I have learned that the cats very early and they
understood.

How can they tell the difference? Can they sense the voltage?

My parrots have bared the live wire several times, but have never come to any harm. I suppose when you're parrot sized, the chances of touching something grounded with another part of your body is quite low. Worst they'll get is a burnt tongue if they chew the live and neutral simultaneously.

/T /I
/ |/ | .-~/
T\ Y I |/ / _
/T | \I | I Y.-~/
I l /I T\ | | l | T /
T\ | \ Y l /T | \I l \ ` l Y
__ | \l \l \I l __l l \ ` _. |
\ ~-l `\ `\ \ \\ ~\ \ `. .-~ |
\ ~-. "-. ` \ ^._ ^. "-. / \ |
.--~-._ ~- ` _ ~-_.-"-." ._ /._ ." ./
--. ~-. ._ ~-" "\\ 7 7 ]

^.___~"--._ ~-{ .-~ . `\ Y . / |
__ ~"-. ~ /_/ \ \I Y : |
^-.__ ~(_/ \ ._: | l______
^--.,___.-~" /_/ ! `-.~"--l_ / ~"-.
(_/ . ~( /' "~"--,Y -=b-. _)
(_/ . \ : / l c"~o \
\ / `. . .^ \_.-~"~--. )
(_/ . ` / / ! )/
/ / _. '. .': / '
~(_/ . / _ ` .-_
/_/ . ' .-~" `. / \ \ ,z=.
~( / ' : | K "-.~-.______//
"-,. l I/ \_ __{---._(==.
//( \ ~"~" //
/' /\ \ \ ,v=. ((
.^. / /\ " }__ //===- `
/ / ' ' "-.,__ {---(==-
.^ ' : T ~" ll
/ . . . : | :! \\
(_/ / | | j-" ~^

Peter Hucker January 28th 07 07:19 PM

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:
[...]

Brainiac Science Abuse (TV program) put a set of five swinging balls (one of them office toys) in a microwave on its own. The microwave exploded spectacularly after less than a minute. Can you explain that?

If there's a fire why not just open the fire exit to let it out?

Peter Hucker January 28th 07 07:21 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will break it?

Even more worrying - will it catch fire or explode?

Don't they have a safety cutout? Can't it sense the Klystron overheating, or a build up of microwaves over a certain level?

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do stuff like that)

Microwave ovens don't care what you put inside. They do not have
feedback loops. You can cook a raisin or a melon or nothing at all.

But where do you think the power ends up if it is not absorbed?

Same question, where do the light waves go from the light inside the
microwave? Same energy, just higher frequency and lower power. Same
place as the microwaves.

Light is absorbed into all sorts of things. Microwaves are NOT absorbed into anything inside the oven. They are reflected completely by the metal sides.

Two cowboys are riding along a trail in the mountains when they suddenly hear tom toms beating very close to them.
"Oh! That doesn't sound good," one says to the other.
As soon as the words were spoken, an Indian jumps out from behind a tree and said, "Yeah, our regular drummer is out sick."

Daniel Mandic January 28th 07 10:08 PM

Peter Hucker wrote:

My parrots have bared the live wire several times, but have never
come to any harm. I suppose when you're parrot sized, the chances of
touching something grounded with another part of your body is quite
low. Worst they'll get is a burnt tongue if they chew the live and
neutral simultaneously.

Of course.

Cats feel the power like a human, just better. After some time, they
understand what power lies in the wall-socket, when (they see) I
connect various devices.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

colin January 29th 07 12:03 AM

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:
[...]

From what ive seen of braniac they probably filled it with something that
would explode spectacularly.
I wonder what the balls were made of, something explosive perhaps ?
ordinary flour or paper dust can make a very good explosive if mixed with
air.

Colin =^.^=

colin January 29th 07 12:07 AM

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:
[...]

not completly, even if they were silver coated it would still not be quite
100%,
it bounces back and forth so quickly eventually even the smallest loss gets
multiplied suficiently to absorb considerable energy.

Colin =^.^=

Geoff January 29th 07 01:24 AM

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

(Seriously,
they do stuff like that)

Aha. My Cats like to turn on my Vaccuum cleaner and I get shocked, in
the first moments. :)

(Seriously, I have left the Vacuum cleaner connected to the
wall-socket many times, indeed. But it was never on, when I came
back home)

I have had them chew through the flex.

I suggest that the main problem is your desire to have 14 parrots in your
house.

geoff

Bill Janssen January 29th 07 01:40 AM

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

[...]

While the microwave is bouncing around in the oven there will be
locations where the signal combines to generate
high voltages and other places where high currents are generated. These
locations can be in side of the Magnetron.

Bill K7NOM

jasen January 29th 07 11:06 AM

On 2007-01-28, Peter Hucker wrote:

Light is absorbed into all sorts of things. Microwaves are NOT absorbed
into anything inside the oven. They are reflected completely by the metal
sides.

that's not happening not unless those sides are superconductive

--

Bye.
Jasen

Peter Hucker January 30th 07 08:20 PM

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:08:59 -0000, Daniel Mandic wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

My parrots have bared the live wire several times, but have never
come to any harm. I suppose when you're parrot sized, the chances of
touching something grounded with another part of your body is quite
low. Worst they'll get is a burnt tongue if they chew the live and
neutral simultaneously.

Of course.

Cats feel the power like a human, just better. After some time, they
understand what power lies in the wall-socket, when (they see) I
connect various devices.

The parrots don't understand, they just like to take things to pieces.

But she was always fat. She was born an only twin.