DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Transistors: Why "Q" and not "TR"? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/169331-transistors-why-q-not-tr.html)

¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦ July 16th 06 09:41 AM

Transistors: Why "Q" and not "TR"?

I can understand not using "T" beause that was used for transformer, which is a heck of a lot older than transistors. But where do they come up with using "Q"? I suppose a TO-18 case looks sorta like a letter Q but it just seems silly. The Japs used "TR" in the old days and it makes sense so I use that.

John Fields July 16th 06 01:45 PM

Transistors: Why "Q" and not "TR"?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:41:57 GMT, ¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦
wrote:

I can understand not using "T" beause that was used for transformer,
which is a heck of a lot older than transistors. But where do they
come up with using "Q"?

---
TR was already in use for "ToweR" and Q hadn't been used yet.
---

I suppose a TO-18 case looks sorta like a letter Q but it just seems
silly. The Japs used "TR" in the old days and it makes sense so I
use that.

---
It's silly not to use what everybody else does...

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Lost'n Found August 9th 06 08:29 PM

Transistors: Why "Q" and not "TR"?

I think it is "Q" because when you do the DC bias, you find what is known as Quiescent point. Hence Q