DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   TV shows stripes/lines at the top of the screen (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/168290-re-tv-shows-stripes-lines-top-screen.html)

Mark Fortune July 6th 06 01:19 AM

TV shows stripes/lines at the top of the screen

-Almazick- wrote:
I had to replace the capacitor in vertical def. output

Hi, I am new to this group but I have a similar problem with my crt
monitor which I intend to have a look at someday. Not being one to enjoy
high voltage electricution however, I would like to get hold of a tool
to discharge the tube before I attempt any wizardry. I know they exist
because i've seen one used before, many years ago.
I believe it has a clip to connect to earth or the cathode, and a probe
to connect to the anode, with a series resistor built in to discharge it
in a controlled manner. What I dont know is what this tool is called, or
where to source one from (although if I knew what it was called a quick
google might suffice). I am in the UK, but anywhere outside the uk that
does international orders will be fine.

thanks in advance,
Mark

jasen July 6th 06 12:47 PM

On 2006-07-06, Mark Fortune wrote:
-Almazick- wrote:
I had to replace the capacitor in vertical def. output

Hi, I am new to this group but I have a similar problem with my crt
monitor which I intend to have a look at someday. Not being one to enjoy
high voltage electricution however, I would like to get hold of a tool
to discharge the tube before I attempt any wizardry. I know they exist
because i've seen one used before, many years ago.
I believe it has a clip to connect to earth or the cathode, and a probe
to connect to the anode, with a series resistor built in to discharge it
in a controlled manner. What I dont know is what this tool is called, or
where to source one from (although if I knew what it was called a quick
google might suffice). I am in the UK, but anywhere outside the uk that
does international orders will be fine.

last time I wanted to do that I used a plastic-handled screwdriver and
aligator clip lead, one end to the earth on the back of the tube the other
to the shaft of the screwdriver...

Now that I've admitted it on usenet expect to hear from the experts why that
was a bad thing to do and how to do better :)

Bye.
Jasen