Electronics (alt.electronics)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default voltage on outlet below normal - help!!

Many residential electricians use the spring-tensioned "stab-in" wire
termination points on the back of cheaper duplex u-ground
receptecles... this is often a weak link where a loose "grab" on a
wire creates an open condition or a high series resistence with part
of your voltage being dropped across this "load." If this is not the
problem, you want to check voltage to ground/ hot to neutral/ neutral
to ground with a high impedence meter. If spring terminals were the
problem, reconfigure wiring so that load, line, and device wires are
scotch locked together. Pigtails feeding receptecles constitutes a
better installation because then, if a device fails, down-stream
devices continue to work (even when the problem device is removed.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:02:57 GMT, "Pony" wrote:

In one of my rooms I have 4 outlets. All 4 are on the same breaker yet one
is getting around 123 volts while the other 3 are only getting 68. What
could be causing this problem? I am unable to use these outlets due to the
low voltage.

Thanks for the help!