Electronics (alt.electronics)

Jasen Betts

Default Converter Question w/ Comp hardware

In article , goofy_noacct wrote:

I want to use one of the USB to IDE adapters, but I will be travelling
so I will need to convert European and/or other outlet voltages to 110
for the usb adapters power supply. My question is are these 220/110 V
converters precise enough to not effect the hard drive's operation.

it really depends on the converter. your best move would be to get a usb
hard drive enclosure with a auto-voltage sensing powersupply.

IOW are they safe to use if the specs bring the voltage down to USA
standards?

they won't convert the AC frequency, so it'll never be a complete match for
american power.

Or will slight voltage discrepancies be passed on to the
final target drive?

That depends on the specifications of the power supply, I would expect most
of them to auto sense and work on pretty much any mains supply in the world.

What, if anything, do I have to be careful of here?

take a look at the power supply unit, you want one rated for 105-120V and
210-240V, at 50 or 60Hz anything that meets or exceeds those specifications
(eg 90-250V 45-65Hz ) would be fine.

Bye.
Jasen