Electronics (alt.electronics)

amatuer_tabalnac

Default SCR battery float charger

Hi, I know this is a silly, newbie question, but can I use a scr bridge
rectifier to float charge an SLA type battery in conjunction with a 7-10amp
PS all hooked up to a load that intermittently draws between 5 and 8amps?

John Fields

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:01:22 GMT, "amatuer_tabalnac"
wrote:

Hi, I know this is a silly, newbie question, but can I use a scr bridge
rectifier to float charge an SLA type battery in conjunction with a 7-10amp
PS all hooked up to a load that intermittently draws between 5 and 8amps?

---
If you're talking about using the bridge to charge the battery
directly from the mains, then even though what you propose seems
possible, the output of the supply and the load would then _not_ be
isolated from the mains and could lead to the death of anyone coming
in contact with the load, the battery, or the bridge. In short, don't
do it that way.

What is it you want to accomplish, anyway? It seems that the power
supply, which can put out 10 amps, can supply the 8 amp maximum
current into the load and still have 2 amps left over to keep the
battery charged. (Actually, 2A would be way too much to continuously
pour into a SLA)

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer