DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   12 volt motor controller (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/106815-12-volt-motor-controller.html)

Dominic Palazzola May 20th 05 10:08 PM

12 volt motor controller

hi this is my first post to this group. im working on a project that is
going to use this gear motor or another that is very similar.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...1777546&ccitem

what I would like it to do is go from 0 to full speed with a pot or use a
selector switch to have 6 preset speeds.
I have a pretty good understanding of electronics and can find my way around
a soldering iron. im just not sure about putting this all together.

thanks
Dominic

John Musselman May 21st 05 12:37 AM

oh yea I need this to be powered from 120v ac.

Well, it's a 12 volt motor so you need a 120 VAC to 12 VDC power supply. If
you have a variable power supply (0 - 12 VDC), you can control the motor
speed with the power supply pot. The power supply needs to put out a couple
amps.

John Musselman

John Fields May 21st 05 01:43 AM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:37:29 -0700, "John Musselman"
wrote:

oh yea I need this to be powered from 120v ac.

Well, it's a 12 volt motor so you need a 120 VAC to 12 VDC power supply. If
you have a variable power supply (0 - 12 VDC), you can control the motor
speed with the power supply pot. The power supply needs to put out a couple
amps.

---
Ideally, it sould be pulse-width modulated so that it won't suffer
from low torque at low speed.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer