DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What do you call this type of heat sink? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/97277-what-do-you-call-type-heat-sink.html)

[email protected] March 31st 05 05:43 PM

What do you call this type of heat sink?

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what do you call the kind of rubber/foam type heat sink
you typically find attached on a IC in a small non/poorly ventilated
casing (e.g. pager, cell phone)? Its typically gray in colour and feels
soft and rubbery. I think some of the old Apple Powerbooks also use
them to vent heat to the casing.

Anyone also knows where I can buy them?

Ivor Floppy March 31st 05 07:04 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what do you call the kind of rubber/foam type heat sink
you typically find attached on a IC in a small non/poorly ventilated
casing (e.g. pager, cell phone)? Its typically gray in colour and feels
soft and rubbery. I think some of the old Apple Powerbooks also use
them to vent heat to the casing.

Anyone also knows where I can buy them?

thermal interface pads.
http://www.warth.co.uk/site2003/blue...ucts_fast.html
do quite a range of different types

The one called "Kool-Pads® HeatPath GTQ 2100 " looks like the same stuff
I've seen inside CDROMs etc.

Mark March 31st 05 08:35 PM

note these are not heat sinks by themselves,

they conduct the heat away to some other surface

Mark

[email protected] March 31st 05 11:35 PM

Hmm... actually the stuff I saw is much thicker (up to 3-5 mm thick)
and in some applications, I guess they act as a heat sink as the casing
is plastic and I guess there isn't any place for the heat to transfer
to.

Anyone knows where I can this kind of heat sink?