DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ferrups fes1.4kva batteries (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/96983-ferrups-fes1-4kva-batteries.html)

HarryHydro March 29th 05 04:45 PM

Ferrups fes1.4kva batteries

Hi Folks:
I think I just resurrected this Ferrups FES1.4KVA from the grave.
It was never used, but sat in a building for over a year with no
electric, not turned on, through the winter, until just recently. When
turned on, it smoked is what I'm told. I found the batteries had
leaked, were completely dead, and one electrically was just a shell
with two posts, that wouldn't accept an amp of charge. 3 FETs were
fried, which I replaced. I have a 50 amp linear supply that I've been
using to test it, except the 50 amps doesn't seem to be enough to keep
this thing idling - just running its' own fan! It is a ferro-resonant
supply, so maybe this is normal. It may be just circulating current in
the primary, but enough to make 12 gauge wires smoke with a real
battery!
The reason for the power supply is just my own paranoia, but
everything does seem to work. I'm just concerned with this current
draw. Is this normal?
Thanks for any insight!
Harry