Dean B.

Default Need LCR Meter Help

Hello All,
I just bought an Amrel (American Reliance) LCR Meter Model 470D off
E-bay and it has problems.
The higher up ranger get successively more inaccurate than the lower ranges.
I poped it open hoping it might
be a simple calibration thing and it has a LOT of trim pots (non labeled
though). I don't suppose anyone
has a service manual, schematic, or calibration procedure for this thing. As
it stands it's pretty much useless.

Any and ALL help will be greatly appreiated.

Thanks....all the best...Dean.

NSM

"Dean B." wrote in message
.. .
Hello All,
I just bought an Amrel (American Reliance) LCR Meter Model 470D

off
E-bay and it has problems.
The higher up ranger get successively more inaccurate than the lower

ranges.
I poped it open hoping it might
be a simple calibration thing and it has a LOT of trim pots (non labeled
though). I don't suppose anyone
has a service manual, schematic, or calibration procedure for this thing.

As
it stands it's pretty much useless.

First, are you sure it's the meter? Second, is the battery OK? No point
worrying about easy stuff!

Dean B.

Hello "N", with 36 years experience in electronics I can safely say YES it's
the meter and NO it's not the battery.

I've used 1% resistors and 2% capacitors as "Test" subjects (Both confirmed
with another meter). I bought this meter
SPECIFICALLY for use in reading Inductance (in hopes in winding my own coils
for use in Audio EQ circuits).

What I have discovered is that scoping the test terminals I get a clean 1Khz
sine wave on some settings,a distorted
(heavily clipped) 1Khz sine wave on others, and a noisy 125Hz sine wave on
the remaining settings. Seems to me
among other things that the reference oscillator is faulty or in some need
of calibration. I would guess the 125Hz
should in fact be a clean 100Hz as it's used in the higher ranges (2H, 20H,
20uF, 200uF,2nF)

As to the battery...I'm using an A-C adapter from a different device and
I've confirmed the Power supply
from within the LCR meter (in case an internal regulator was at fault).

Thanks anyway...any other thoughts...anyone...

Cheers....Dean.

"NSM" wrote in message

"Dean B." wrote in message
.. .
Hello All,
I just bought an Amrel (American Reliance) LCR Meter Model 470D

off
E-bay and it has problems.
The higher up ranger get successively more inaccurate than the lower

ranges.
I poped it open hoping it might
be a simple calibration thing and it has a LOT of trim pots (non labeled
though). I don't suppose anyone
has a service manual, schematic, or calibration procedure for this

thing.
As
it stands it's pretty much useless.

First, are you sure it's the meter? Second, is the battery OK? No point
worrying about easy stuff!

NSM

"Dean B." wrote in message
.. .
Hello "N", with 36 years experience in electronics I can safely say YES

it's
the meter and NO it's not the battery.

OK. What does Amrel say about it? Service manuals available?

me

Hello "N", with 36 years experience in electronics I

should be able to fix it myself?

Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 06:49 PM
water company dishonest? Tony Home Repair 9 May 24th 04 04:44 AM
water meter set aside plans dave @ stejonda UK diy 10 March 20th 04 12:59 AM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 08:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 03:51 AM