RB

Default lcd flat screen monitor question

My ProView flat screen LCD monitor suddenly went black. It is powered with
a small 12v pack. I have a green power led, showing it's getting
power---maybe??? However, switching it on and off has no effect---still a
black screen.

Does this sound like a power failure? Or, is it going to be something else?
Yes, it's just out of warranty. ProView wants $120 to repair-----unless
it's the screen that's bad; then it's going to be $320. I can buy a new one
for about that.

I just hate to have something like this that I can't fix. Don't want to
just toss it---unless there's no alternatives.

If it's the little power pack, I can one of those for $30. But, I'd like to
feel fairly confident that's what's wrong, or I'll be throwing my money
away.

HandyMan

Hi,

Sounds like a backlight problem. I had a Proview BM568 in for repair
with the same symptoms, and it turned out to be the SMD fuse on the
inverter board open-circuit.

Be very careful with the inverter board, the little transformers on it
deliver very high voltage to the CCFL (Cold-Cathode Fluorescent Lamps)
tubes and there will be high potential even on the transformers' cores,
so you don't want to be touching any part of them or the circuitry
taking the voltage from them to the lamp connectors.

You can sometimes tell if it's just the backlight not working by
looking at the screen carefully whilst a video input is connected and
using a torch angled towards the screen to get some reflection from
behind the LCD display. If you can see some of your desktop (if using
Windows, say) then the screen is functioning but the backlight isn't.

If you need more fino or help, just say so and I'll be glad to advise.

Best regards,
James

Free Flat Screen TV Fried Allahtime Electronics Repair 4 February 1st 05 12:24 AM
Flat Screen tv lifts dwolf Woodworking 4 January 25th 05 10:14 PM
Help ! Pioneer AVH-P6500 flat screen transprt TA7205 Electronics Repair 2 November 22nd 04 02:14 AM
Hanging big flat screen TVs John Smith UK diy 6 November 3rd 04 11:39 AM
Cracked flat screen monitor repair help David Electronics Repair 2 August 17th 03 10:50 PM