rob

Default Battery holder for 4xAA?

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
But it needs to be end-fed with closing door. In other words, slide 2

cells
in, next to each other, followed by 2 more. Latching door connects the

ends
of the last pair inserted.

so it'd be about 4-5 inches long and about 1.5-2 inches wide.

Everything I've seen so far is side-fed (those clip-in cell holders) which
won't work for me.

Ideas?

Thanks,

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Bulgin do some panel mount end loading holders. Keystone may also make some.

rob

Al

In article et,
DaveC wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:45:11 -0800, Ross Herbert wrote
(in article ):

http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/11_10.pdf

Thanks for looking, but this is not what I mean.

I want a holder that is, basically, a rectangular tube, closed at one end.
You slide 2 AA cells in, side by side, then another 2. Door closes up the
open end, and completes the circuit.

I found a cheap book light at my town's recycling center. It's exactly
what you want except it takes four C cells. It even has a power socket
on it. The module containing the cells is connected to the book light
via a power cable.

You might be able to find one that takes 4 AA cells. And toss the book
light.

My 2 cents worth.

Al
Rich Grise

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:40:44 -0800, DaveC wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:00:53 -0800, DaveC wrote
(in article et):

I want a holder that is, basically, a rectangular tube, closed at one end.
You slide 2 AA cells in, side by side, then another 2. Door closes up the
open end, and completes the circuit.

Like this:

-----------
| | |
-----------
| | |
-----------

A holder where the cells "clip in" would be acceptable, if there is a cover
on the holder (cells must be entirely enclosed).

So far, none of the suggested solutions have this configuration *and* are
enclosed.

Other ideas?

What about a couple of 2-AA Radioshack clips and a long, narrow box?

Good Luck!
Rich

James Sweet

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
But it needs to be end-fed with closing door. In other words, slide 2

cells
in, next to each other, followed by 2 more. Latching door connects the

ends
of the last pair inserted.

so it'd be about 4-5 inches long and about 1.5-2 inches wide.

Everything I've seen so far is side-fed (those clip-in cell holders) which
won't work for me.

Ideas?

Fabricate one yourself out of acrylic, it's reasonably easy to work with.

Al

In article et,
DaveC wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:07:00 -0800, Al wrote
(in article ):

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks, Al. Worth a few $$ at least!

I thought of hunting down an existing product, but didn't know where to
start. A light does seem like a logical place.

Ahh, I just looked it up on the internet. Here is the battery case for
the 4 C cells. I think the newer ones use white LEDs and the battery
case is built into the product.

http://zelcocom.nationprotect.net/Me...reen=PROD&Prod
uct_Code=10415&Category_Code=

If the above url doesn't work, go to the zelco industries web site and
search for "battery case."

Al

Rich Grise

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:27:32 -0800, DaveC wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:36:25 -0800, Dave Holford wrote
(in article ):

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Memo...b%20Data/BH14A

ASF.pdf

Needs to be a fully-enclosed holder. Y'know, open the end door, drop in the
cells, close it up again... That kinda' thing.

So, get a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe and drop it in. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

James Sweet

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:50:16 -0800, James Sweet wrote
(in article YXsZd.5528$mq2.1673@trnddc08):

Fabricate one yourself out of acrylic, it's reasonably easy to work

with.

Cylindrical cells in square enclosure ("rattle, rattle"); no fitting end

cap
to keep cells locked in. I'm all for custom design when necessary, but I
think I'll first exhaust the possibility of finding an existing product

that
has this kind of holder that I can cannibalize.

You can get acrylic tubing... I agree though that it will likely be easier
to cannibalize one.

Wes.

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:36:25 -0800, Dave Holford wrote
(in article ):

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Memo...b%20Data/BH14A

ASF.pdf

Needs to be a fully-enclosed holder. Y'know, open the end door, drop in
the
cells, close it up again... That kinda' thing.

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

More like these?

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/PDFs/CatNo80...olders2003.pdf

Wes.

Jim Adney

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:07:00 GMT Al wrote:

I found a cheap book light at my town's recycling center. It's exactly
what you want except it takes four C cells. It even has a power socket
on it. The module containing the cells is connected to the book light
via a power cable.

You might be able to find one that takes 4 AA cells. And toss the book
light.

I just went to a demo of a CAD program this afternoon. The subject of
the demo was a little book light which the instructor said held 4 AA
cells. I can't be sure, but it looked to me like it was too small to
be C cells, and the arrangement was exactly what you're asking about.

This book light consisted of a clip-on battery compartment with the
lamp on a stalk that you could rotate into position above your book.

If that product actually exists, it might have just what you're
looking for.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Jim Thompson

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:20:02 -0600, Jim Adney
wrote:

[...]

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/battery-holders.htm

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Al

wrote:

[...]

Jim, you didn't read the requirements. All of the ones I saw on the that
web page are open. He wants the cells to be out of sight, out of mind.
Once in a blue moon, I see them for sale surplus.

Al
Jim Thompson

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:06:02 GMT, Al wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I was late to the thread.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Rich Grise

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:51:38 -0800, DaveC wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:51:53 -0800, Wes. wrote
(in article 1110948390.6cfa840f1da2815f61648f9308ce1cde@teran ews):

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/PDFs/CatNo80...olders2003.pdf

I've seen the Bulgin ones. I like the 4-cell model (drawer is nice feature).
But it needs to be 2x2 config (2 pairs of 2 cells in-line).

How hard would it be to make a plastic box to slide one of the open
ones into? 6 pieces of plexiglass, a hinge, maybe a latch, and some
plexiglass cement. Nothing to it!

For that matter, you could make a form from a couple of sticks, and
warm up a piece of plexiglass to wrap around the sticks, and voila!
Battery holder!

Good Luck!
Rich

Al

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:06:02 GMT, Al wrote:

big snip

Sorry, I was late to the thread.

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, I'm guilty of that a lot too. I seem to have a talent for killing
off a thread.

Al

budgie

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:51:38 -0800, DaveC wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:51:53 -0800, Wes. wrote
(in article 1110948390.6cfa840f1da2815f61648f9308ce1cde@teran ews):

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/PDFs/CatNo80...olders2003.pdf

I've seen the Bulgin ones. I like the 4-cell model (drawer is nice feature).
But it needs to be 2x2 config (2 pairs of 2 cells in-line).

Get a broken Garmin II/II+/III/III+ and chop it up (down?)
none

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:45:24 -0800, DaveC wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:37:04 -0800, Rich Grise wrote
(in article ):

What about a couple of 2-AA Radioshack clips and a long, narrow box?

Last resort is to assemble one like you suggest. First I thought I'd exhaust
y'all by asking if there's a source for a single holder of 4x longitudinal
form-factor.

It's no too difficult to make your own.
I make custom cases using Delrin plastic and the spring and tab
contacts salvaged out of old remotes and such.