DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DC Motor - Fuse or Breaker, Size, and placement? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/91425-dc-motor-fuse-breaker-size-placement.html)

[email protected] February 16th 05 02:32 PM

DC Motor - Fuse or Breaker, Size, and placement?

I am building an electric Go Cart.

The motor is a 36 Volt 80 Amp motor.

The 36-48 Curtis 225 Amp controller is from a Golf Cart.

I understand that I should place a fuse/breaker at the battery before
th controller, and another from the controller to the motor. An on/off
switch to the pot. throttle.

1 Fuse or DC breaker?

2 What size?

Thanks

BoyntonStu

James Sweet February 17th 05 07:13 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building an electric Go Cart.

The motor is a 36 Volt 80 Amp motor.

The 36-48 Curtis 225 Amp controller is from a Golf Cart.

I understand that I should place a fuse/breaker at the battery before
th controller, and another from the controller to the motor. An on/off
switch to the pot. throttle.

1 Fuse or DC breaker?

2 What size?

Something around 80A should do the trick, if that blows go up a bit higher
but don't exceed what the controller or wiring can handle. Car stereo shops
should have something suitable.