DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   stripping out old UPS (uninterruptables)- find huge diodes? SCR's?rectifier bridges? doorknob capacitors? telsa primary (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/90457-stripping-out-old-ups-uninterruptables-find-huge-diodes-scrs-rectifier-bridges-doorknob-capacitors-telsa-primary.html)

dave February 9th 05 04:24 PM

stripping out old UPS (uninterruptables)- find huge diodes? SCR's?rectifier bridges? doorknob capacitors? telsa primary

I'm contemplating building a high frequency "arc stabilizer" box for a
welder (which I understand uses nearly all same components as a tesla
primary circuit). I'm a talented fabricator, soldering iron guy, etc.
and a superb DISmantler :-)

I have a "near endless" supply of UPS (uninterruptable power supplies)
of various types and sizes (up to and including "HUGE monsters") I could
strip for their component parts.

I'm -wondering- if they'd provide me any of the parts I'd need, like:

rectifier bridges?
doorknob capacitors?
huge diodes (with 'braid pigtails' and studs?)
SCR's?
transformers?

other than the huge batteries (which I'd leave behind) I have no -clue-
what's inside 'em...alternately, if they, generally, have no components
I could 'use' for my project, what other component parts would they
ordinarily contain that 'other guys' could use?

thanks for tips and clues :-)

box

dave February 9th 05 06:26 PM

Jerry G. wrote:
Take a look inside, and see!

I would, but first I'd have to travel and hour and a half ONE way just
to find out - still hope someone here might know what's inside 'em
"generally"....before I make a long trip...

do you know, jerry?

thanks,

box :-\

James Sweet February 10th 05 04:02 AM

"dave" wrote in message
Jerry G. wrote:
Take a look inside, and see!

I would, but first I'd have to travel and hour and a half ONE way just
to find out - still hope someone here might know what's inside 'em
"generally"....before I make a long trip...

do you know, jerry?

thanks,

box :-\

Aside from the batteries, usually a MASSIVE 60Hz transformer, a bunch of big
MOSFETs or bipolar power transistors, and some assorted logic.

J. Doe February 10th 05 03:10 PM

dave wrote:

I have a "near endless" supply of UPS (uninterruptable power supplies)
of various types and sizes (up to and including "HUGE monsters") I
could strip for their component parts.

There's a lengthy thread covering this subject back on 2/4