James Jones

Default Best Data 56SX modem power supply voltage?

I have a Best Data "Smart One" 56SX V.90 external modem that I want to
give to a friend. However, I seem to have misplaced the "wall wart" and
there is no indication on the unit as to the voltage requirements. I
don't even know if it's AC or DC. Does anyone know what voltage this
thing needs?

Thanks!
James
Gerard Bok

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:32:52 -0600, James Jones
wrote:

I have a Best Data "Smart One" 56SX V.90 external modem that I want to
give to a friend. However, I seem to have misplaced the "wall wart" and
there is no indication on the unit as to the voltage requirements. I
don't even know if it's AC or DC. Does anyone know what voltage this
thing needs?

Not for sure, but many modems require 12 volts AC.
So if you have such a wall wart lying around it is likely to
match the modem :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:32:52 -0600, James Jones
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a Best Data "Smart One" 56SX V.90 external modem that I want to
give to a friend. However, I seem to have misplaced the "wall wart" and
there is no indication on the unit as to the voltage requirements. I
don't even know if it's AC or DC. Does anyone know what voltage this
thing needs?

You can tell if it requires AC if there is a bridge rectifier on the
P/S input (do not confuse this with any bridge rectifiers at the Line
and Phone sockets). The voltage requirement can be discerned from the
voltage ratings of the filter capacitors. If DC, then the polarity can
be determined by following circuit earth to the power socket. Typical
current ratings for external modems are 1A max.

- Franc Zabkar