DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TV - left portion of screen dark, not in video text mode (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/89043-tv-left-portion-screen-dark-not-video-text-mode.html)

Sebastian Voitzsch January 31st 05 12:51 AM

TV - left portion of screen dark, not in video text mode

Hi all,

I?ve got a TV set where the left 1/4 of the screen is faded; especially
noticeable when dark pictures are showing or in the black borders of 16:9
movies.

The repairfaq points to a filter cap in the video driver stage - this cap is
OK.

With further tests I found there?s no faded left border in videotext mode
and even the border is present but much smaller with the video input via
Scart. The video signal is switched by a TDA3505 (RGB signal comes in
through SCART, goes to videotext decoder and then to the TDA3505, which
switches between signal from pal decoder (R-y/B-y - format) and from the
vt-decoder board.

Set is an ITT Stereo Color 3868, Chassis Compact D.

Any hints?

TIA,
Sebastian

Sebastian Voitzsch January 31st 05 07:17 PM

Sebastian Voitzsch wrote:

Hi all,

I?ve got a TV set where the left 1/4 of the screen is faded; especially
noticeable when dark pictures are showing or in the black borders of 16:9
movies.

snip
Set is an ITT Stereo Color 3868, Chassis Compact D.

Solved. Replaced the filter cap in the 12V supply (C522, 100uF / 25V).

Cheers,
Sebastian

John January 31st 05 10:04 PM

Hi Sebastian.
You just beat me to it I had this fault many years ago it's an interesting
feature of this chassis that the power supply is synchronised to the line
stage so any supply decoupling problems give a stable brightness change
across the screen.
Best wishes John.