Darren

Default Cracked pcb

Hi,

I have a Denon Radio/CD player that has been dropped, pushing the power
outlet connector in. The section of pcb that branches off to the power
outlet connector has cracked across the two wide tracks leading to the
connector. I plan to solder some wire to the tracks to bridge the gap.

Are the tracks likely to be coated in anything for example that I will need
to remove first before soldering?

Many thanks,

Darren

NSM

"Darren" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a Denon Radio/CD player that has been dropped, pushing the power
| outlet connector in. The section of pcb that branches off to the power
| outlet connector has cracked across the two wide tracks leading to the
| connector. I plan to solder some wire to the tracks to bridge the gap.
|
| Are the tracks likely to be coated in anything for example that I will
need
| to remove first before soldering?

I glue boards together with white (wood) glue, then solder with wire. Try
soldering one cracked land and see what happens.

Jerry G.

If it is only the wide tracks or tracks that are practical in size to
solder, this is fixable. I have seen boards broken where there were high
densities of surface mount components. In this case, the board was not able
to be feasibly repaired.

Most of the time the tracks have a lacquer coating. You can carefully scrape
this off with something that is sharp, as like a fine blade. You would have
to really work at it to tear or break the traces some more.

You can then put a thin layer of solder on each of the broken tracks to tin
them. You can then solder on some thin copper stripping or copper shim, or
just use
some wire to complete the circuits.

On the opposite side of the board, where practical, you can epoxy on a piece
of arborite to make a type of patch to add some strength to the where the
board was broken. If you do not have arborite, you can use a piece of
acrylic, or the equivalent of a material that is non conducting. You do not
want to get epoxy on to the traces.

I have repaired many broken boards from radios, and other appliances from
being dropped. It seems that everything in its own way is attracted to the
floor with great force.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Darren" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Denon Radio/CD player that has been dropped, pushing the power
outlet connector in. The section of pcb that branches off to the power
outlet connector has cracked across the two wide tracks leading to the
connector. I plan to solder some wire to the tracks to bridge the gap.

Are the tracks likely to be coated in anything for example that I will need
to remove first before soldering?

Many thanks,

Darren

John Hutchison

I have repaired many broken boards from radios, and other appliances from
being dropped. It seems that everything in its own way is attracted to the
floor with great force.

--

Its Ok dropping things ,but its the sudden stop that creates the trouble.

jmo
kip

Jerry G.

That's a great answer!

I always say, "It is not the crash that kills the victim. It is the sudden
stop!"

--

Jerry G.
=====

"John Hutchison" wrote in message
.. .

I have repaired many broken boards from radios, and other appliances from
being dropped. It seems that everything in its own way is attracted to the
floor with great force.

--

Its Ok dropping things ,but its the sudden stop that creates the trouble.

jmo
kip

Asimov

"Jerry G." bravely wrote to "All" (18 Jan 05 17:14:46)
--- on the heady topic of " Cracked pcb"

It has been explained as "the second collision"... i.e. that of the
passengers against the interior of the vehicle.

JG From: "Jerry G."
JG Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:7662

JG That's a great answer!

JG I always say, "It is not the crash that kills the victim. It is the
JG sudden stop!"

JG --

JG Jerry G.
JG =3d=3d=3d=3d=3d

JG "John Hutchison" wrote in message
JG .. .

I have repaired many broken boards from radios, and other appliances from
being dropped. It seems that everything in its own way is attracted to the
floor with great force.

--

JG Its Ok dropping things ,but its the sudden stop that creates the
JG trouble.

JG jmo
JG kip

.... Bald spot? It's a solar panel for a sex machine.