DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   One possible solution for bright blue screen with retrace lines (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/86886-one-possible-solution-bright-blue-screen-retrace-lines.html)

datest January 17th 05 08:19 PM

One possible solution for bright blue screen with retrace lines

Hello,
I was troubleshooting a bright blue picture with retrace lines.
I opened up the back, and I noticed that if I put a very slight
pressure on a vertical board (using a wooden stick,),
the problem corrected itself.

This board, the Y/C Jungle, is shielded, being inside a metal
frame. To get the board out, you have to remove the shield
first.

I've put the Y/c jungle back in after soldering all internal
connections, and the main IC on that board. TV is now working.

By the way, what's the purpose of the shield?
During my testing I left it out and the picture seemed fine.
TV is a 1992 Sony KV-27xbr35.
regards,
Dave

James Sweet January 17th 05 08:43 PM

"datest" wrote in message
Hello,
I was troubleshooting a bright blue picture with retrace lines.
I opened up the back, and I noticed that if I put a very slight
pressure on a vertical board (using a wooden stick,),
the problem corrected itself.

This board, the Y/C Jungle, is shielded, being inside a metal
frame. To get the board out, you have to remove the shield
first.

I've put the Y/c jungle back in after soldering all internal
connections, and the main IC on that board. TV is now working.

By the way, what's the purpose of the shield?
During my testing I left it out and the picture seemed fine.
TV is a 1992 Sony KV-27xbr35.
regards,
Dave

The shield may be there to prevent the TV from interfering with other
equipment, it's also possible that in some situations it would make a
difference in performance.

datest January 18th 05 04:50 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:43:42 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

By the way, what's the purpose of the shield?
During my testing I left it out and the picture seemed fine.
TV is a 1992 Sony KV-27xbr35.
regards,
Dave

The shield may be there to prevent the TV from interfering with other
equipment, it's also possible that in some situations it would make a
difference in performance.

Thanks for the info. Looks like my fix is not successful,
and I'll have an opportunity to put it back now that I've got
to get the chassis out again.

I suspect either a bad solder joint or a crack somewhere
because when I flex the board ever so slightly the picture
is restored.

However, this board has solder, components and traces on both sides,
with tiny miniature parts that I'm going blind looking at.
Unless the fault is on the main A board, very close to where
this y/c jungle is soldered in.
Any thoughts?
Dave