motsco_ _

Default __ Two Sony recievers that have buzzing STR-AV920, STR-D990

They're both mine, and they buzz thru the speakers even though volume is
all the way down. It sounds like it's getting louder by the day, and may
be 120HZ. I'm capable of changing capacitors, though none look like
they've been hot. Machines are both around 15 years old. Should i start
with the two big honking capacitors on the P.S. ?

motsco_ _
--

To REPLY: If there are a couple of underscores in my return address,
you must remove them to reply directly . . . . . . Thanks.

Mark D. Zacharias

These have a known problem with the screws which make the ground connections
at the various corners and edges of the main board, the power supply board,
and the heat sink.

Tighten them.

Mark Z.

"motsco_ _" "motsco_ wrote in message
They're both mine, and they buzz thru the speakers even though volume is
all the way down. It sounds like it's getting louder by the day, and may
be 120HZ. I'm capable of changing capacitors, though none look like
they've been hot. Machines are both around 15 years old. Should i start
with the two big honking capacitors on the P.S. ?

motsco_ _
--

To REPLY: If there are a couple of underscores in my return address, you
must remove them to reply directly . . . . . . Thanks.

Dave VanHorn

Bad caps don't necessarily look bad. They slowly reduce in effective value,
due to age. You may see a 1000uF that measures to significantly less than
that, like 100uF.

James Sweet

"Dave VanHorn" wrote in message
Bad caps don't necessarily look bad. They slowly reduce in effective

value,
due to age. You may see a 1000uF that measures to significantly less than
that, like 100uF.

More often than that, they'll measure ok, but the ESR has gone way up and
acts like a resistor in series with them.

Jerry G.

The main filter capacitors, and most likely a number of decoupler caps in
the power supply are probably going defective. If you are not used to doing
this type of service, I suggest you give the units out to a shop that can
service your amplifier. Take care that there are also safety issues involved
when doing repairs yourself.

--

Jerry G.
======

"motsco_ _" "motsco_ wrote in message
They're both mine, and they buzz thru the speakers even though volume is
all the way down. It sounds like it's getting louder by the day, and may
be 120HZ. I'm capable of changing capacitors, though none look like
they've been hot. Machines are both around 15 years old. Should i start
with the two big honking capacitors on the P.S. ?

motsco_ _
--

To REPLY: If there are a couple of underscores in my return address,
you must remove them to reply directly . . . . . . Thanks.

motsco_ _

James Sweet wrote:
"Dave VanHorn" wrote in message

Bad caps don't necessarily look bad. They slowly reduce in effective

value,

due to age. You may see a 1000uF that measures to significantly less than
that, like 100uF.

More often than that, they'll measure ok, but the ESR has gone way up and
acts like a resistor in series with them.

Thanks, all for replying. The caps are coming in a week, and it sounds
like a great place to start. I noticed they did smell a bit funny when
removed. We'll see. I'll report back.

'Curly'