DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HP D2836 Ultra VGA 1280 17" CRT Monitor (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/86442-hp-d2836-ultra-vga-1280-17%22-crt-monitor.html)

Svenn Are Bjerkem January 15th 05 04:00 PM

HP D2836 Ultra VGA 1280 17" CRT Monitor

Hi,

I had to replace my Ultra VGA 1280 with a TFT the other day when it
didn't start as usual.

I have read some paragraphs on the repair-faq and I can identify that
there is a continously running click-click sound. The Power LED is not
giving any sign of life. I opened the monitor to check if there were any
visible defects or smells, but there weren't.

A bit of history:

The monitor was on much of its life as it went into sleep when the
computer was shut down. Some parts may have reached MTBF.

Towards the end of its life there came an audible humming (that didn't
go away by hitting the monitor on the side), but didn't really annoy the
user. When, during normal operation, the power-saving turned on, the
humming went away and came back when the PC woke up again. Other CRT
monitors that I have did not have a humming like this. (There is always
a bit of sound from a CRT, but most of them are "familiar")

Seems that the price of a new TFT is so low that I can't justify
spending any money on repair, but I don't like to throw away things. I
have some equipment that have had dried out Caps causing the error which
I have repaired successfully. Problem is that it is not always obvious
which cap that dries out.

Maybe another D2836 owner has had the same experience and know what to do.

--
Kind regards,
Svenn Bjerkem

[email protected] January 16th 05 06:58 PM

You need an ESR meter to proper check for bad electrolytic capacitors.
I would also check for shorted large transistors or diodes. It soulds
like your power supply is going into shutdown mode because of large
current draw. Or maybe bad capacitors in the power supply or horizontal
area are preventing it from starting up.
John