DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Connecting an older mac to my new pc (via usb) to xfer files??? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/85188-connecting-older-mac-my-new-pc-via-usb-xfer-files.html)

mike January 8th 05 02:21 AM

Connecting an older mac to my new pc (via usb) to xfer files???

Hey all,

Think there's any hope of that?, or am i relegated to xfering files
onto my mp-3 player and xfering 1GB at a time (and slloooww)?
Thanks for any help here,
Mike.

FoulDragon January 8th 05 04:51 AM

Think there's any hope of that?, or am i relegated to xfering files
onto my mp-3 player and xfering 1GB at a time (and slloooww)?
Thanks for any help here,
Mike.

I'd reccomend getting an ethernet crossover cable (like 5 to 10 dollars,
depends on length and where sold), connect the machines that way. Set up
Windows-style filesharing on the Mac
--
Marada Shra'drakaii

Jerry G. January 9th 05 12:17 AM

You will have to do that by using an Ethernet cable only. You would
need a cross-cable to connect the two machines back to back. If you do
not have an Ethernet card in the machines, you will have to go out and
get one for each.

You then have to do the network configuration on both machines in order
for them to be able to talk to each other. Then you just have to set
the drives to be shared, and then both machines will be able to talk to
each other.

It is possible to network a MAC to a PC. Some regard is going to have
to be taken in consideration of them being able to read each others
files.

Jerry G.
======

Stan January 9th 05 05:59 AM

"mike" wrote:

}Hey all,
}
}Think there's any hope of that?, or am i relegated to xfering files
}onto my mp-3 player and xfering 1GB at a time (and slloooww)?

What model Mac? Does it have an ethernet port? (AUII or RJ45)
Does your PC have an ethernet port?

Stan.