Default panasonic rv-31 dvd player spindle motor ( h03 )

a couple of questions about the above machine/brand:

1) has anyone ever bothered replacing the spindle motor in this model,
and is it available anywhere as a single item (i.e. without changing
the whole pickup unit? ). Just curious, as I wouldnt mind having a go
if i can get the part. (I know you can get a new player for very little
these days, blah blah blah, thats not what i'm after, its just for the
hell of it ....)

2) I believe the fault is very widespread (see
http://www.dvddebate.com/drdvd/detail.php3?id=5053 for example)
and was caused by panasonic not using a brushless motor in this unit
and as a result the motor used was inadequate for the job. What about
models since then? have panasonic gone back to brushless motors or are
the new units going to be as unreliable? None have come my way
recenttly at least...

happy new year and best regards, Ben